» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

****A Resistance Wire to the Wipac Light switch?****

View previous topic View next topic Go down

****A Resistance Wire to the Wipac Light switch?****

Post  mattb31daytona on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:27 am

Totlly rewiring one the Falcon which has the twin Wipac switches and I am informed is wired up exactly the same as the Cruiser 80 / 84.

What is confusing me is that the wiring diagram shows the lead direct from the Battery + to the lightswitch is shown as a resistance wire - what does this mean? and will it make any difference if I just use standard automotive wire direct from Battery + to the switch?

Matt

mattb31daytona

Back to top Go down

resistance wire

Post  kerabo on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Matt

It does matter I am adraid. I would have to look again at the diagram to refresh my memory but I think when the lights are off the wire soaks up the extra charge to keep it just above the centre of the meter at normal crusing speed. When you open the loom you will find a wire about 1m long covered in a heat resistant sheild.This wire looks like a thick fuse wire. I think there is a shorter one in as well.. Now Tony Woods is doing the same thing and he is going to try to find a resistor of the same value to put instead of the wire. I am not sure if this will work as most resistors only flow one way. If you want to talk with him PM me and I will give you his number.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Resistance wire

Post  davejose on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Matt I have the same issue with my Falcon 87 the previous owner has replaced rhe resistance wire and put an in lnline resistor in the head lamp it seems to do the trick. I will have a look at mine and see if I can find the value of the resistor and type and let you know.

Dave J.
davejose

Back to top Go down

Resistence wire

Post  Mattb31d on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks Ken and Dave - A great pity that it is important as the existing loom was clearly a DIY system as everything was wired in an extremely hap hazard (nothing working) way and there was certainly no wire as Ken described - just normal automotive wiring. I replaced wiring and switches and have rewired to the cruiser diagram but no resitance wire.

Unfortunately my throat cancers mean I am currently e mail communications only so can't use the phone for a bit, but hopefully Dave will give me an update on thetype of resistor he has fitted and where can I buy them?

How have other's in the club got round this problem?

Would riding with side lights on all the time solve this dilema - or make it worse? .....electrics - huh!

Matt

Mattb31d

Back to top Go down

Resistor

Post  kerabo on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 pm

When I ride with my lights on the amp meter is more or less zero. You can play about with bulb wattage a little if you are under or over charging. A resistor should work but it will just be a matter of getting the correct one. You will be best letting it have an air flow or at least not taped up in a loom.. If its not spot on you can just go up or down with the restiance.
When you get it sorted you must put the results on here.

Regards ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: ****A Resistance Wire to the Wipac Light switch?****

Post  woodenhead on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:05 am

Hi
Personally I would convert to 12 volts and fit a modern Rectifier/Regulator but if you want to stay at 6 volts Paul goff does a 6 volt regulatr/ rectifier which will do the job and stop all the problems of blown bulbs and cooked batteries.
I am a great believer in using modern technology to overcome the limitations of the dubious designs of previous years now technology has moved on.
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm
They are quite small units and can be hidden away as they no longer need to be out in the cooling air.
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

Regulator

Post  kerabo on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:36 am

Well done
I never knew that you could get a regulator for these 6v bikes. Your gonna make me spend some more money now

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  woodenhead on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi
If you use one of the regulators and add a capacitor you can also simplify the wiring as you dont need the fancy bits for the emergency position and you can also run without a battery.
If you want details I'll be away for a couple of weeks but I can send them when I get back.
Regards
Mike d.
woodenhead

Back to top Go down

resistance wire

Post  mcrmike on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 pm

I had the same problem with the rewiring of my wipac loom on a James M15, I simply replaced the resistance wire with a Ceramic 10w resistor from Maplins (10W3R3J) and have had no problems to date,seems to work OK.I have wired it into the loom where the downtube runs down to the battery,below the tank, shrinktubing the end connections close to the loom, leaving the body of the ceramic exposed to the airflow.I don't have an ameter fitted to check the output, but everything still works OK.Hope this helps rather than confusing? Smile
mcrmike

Back to top Go down

Resistance wire

Post  davejose on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Matt I got in contact with AO electrical services who deal with bike electrics regarding the resistor wire fitted to our bikes and was familiar with the issue of replacing it with an inline one. He dealt with one recently and found that fitting a 15watt 3 to 4 ohm resistor it did the trick, he can supply them his number is 01953 884681 you will find him very helpful.

Regards Dave J
davejose

Back to top Go down

resistance

Post  AOSerivi on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 am

As some of you have worked out the resistor (flows BOTH ways) is there to take the load of the side lights, when they are off. IE when you ride with ignition only. A better resistor is 3R9 or 3R3 25W(the higher value gives you a higher charge when lights are off. When lights (side or main) are on the resistor is NOT in circuit. I can supply with wires fitted 5-00 (sent)
Now get on riding and stop worrying! Al of AO Services

AOSerivi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top