Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

Falcon 87 Resistance wire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  davejose on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Chaps

On looking at the wiring diagram of my 87 I noticed it shows a resistance wire fitted to the earth connection, a previous owner must have had some kind of issue with this as it has had an in line resistor fitted in a terminal block and fitted in the headlamp shell. I would like to tidy it up in there so would anyone know the value of the resistor or how to replace the wire?
Thanks Dave J
davejose

Back to top Go down

resistor wire

Post  kerabo on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:24 pm

From new there is no extra resistor so if you have anything more than the original wire someone may have been trying to solve a problem. The resistor wire is a long wire in a heat sheild sheath. It controls the amps to a point where it will just charge about 1 amp on crusing speed and may show a slight discharge at low revs. When you go onto emergency or put your lights on it bypasses the wire and it leaves the load of the lights to keep the voltage under control..

Thats the way I understand it anyway

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  davejose on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for that Ken it looks like the resistance wire has been replaced with an ordinary wire because of some issue with it by a previous owner and he has fitted a in line resistor to replace it. I was wondering if you can buy resistance wire but I would have no idea what type or where to get it

DaveJ
davejose

Back to top Go down

Wire

Post  kerabo on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:58 pm

You will strugle to find a new one but you could find a loom from a scrap bike This wire is about 3 feet long and looks like a thick length of fuse wire. If you knew the resistanceytou could use an ordanary thick wire with a resistor in line. It sounds like this is what seems to have been attempted here. I am pretty sure there is more than one wire in a loom as well..

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Resistor

Post  daisy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 pm

* Edit/Delete this post
* Delete this post

resistance

Post AOSerivi Today at 1:56 pm
As some of you have worked out the resistor (flows BOTH ways) is there to take the load of the side lights, when they are off. IE when you ride with ignition only. A better resistor is 3R9 or 3R3 25W(the higher value gives you a higher charge when lights are off. When lights (side or main) are on the resistor is NOT in circuit. I can supply with wires fitted 5-00 (sent)
Now get on riding and stop worrying! Al of AO Services

AOSerivi

+I think this should suffice already posted as it happens.
Al at AOServices

daisy

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 Resistance wire

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top