Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

Very old Francis Barnett

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Very old Francis Barnett

Post  Garnanc on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello

I am in alberta Canada and I was given a FB by my father before he passed away....the problem I'm having is identifying what it is I have. This is what I know or think I know.....the motor is a Super Sport TT 172cc, 2 stroke the bike has no headlight or taillight, it has a self oiler and a 3 speed gear box, from what I can see it appears to be all there, I have gone thru just about every web site I can find and the closest I can find is a 1927 bike, except it has lights. I was told that my best chance of getting info was thru an owners club.....I can if required send pictures, if there is someone who thinks they can help.

Thank You
Gary

Garnanc

Back to top Go down

additional info

Post  garnanc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am

sorry I guess some numbers would be helpfull......the # on the frame is 18812.....the only # on the engine is on the crank case and it is BZ10698....the frame is a series of bars that can be removed seperately the # on the magnetto is D14983......hope this helps

thanks

garnanc

Back to top Go down

pics

Post  garnanc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 am

here's some pics might help

garnanc

Back to top Go down

I.D

Post  piston 197 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:00 am

Hi,what you have is a 1929 model 9 ,with 172cc villiers supersports engine,this model first appeared in the 1927 season with a petrol tank mounted mkI villiers oiler ,for the 1928 season a separate oil tank was used under the seat(as yours) The frame No of yours dates it to 1929,lighting equipment was a factory option,as were leg shields.You seem to have a good project,remember to mark the frame tubes before dismantling as unbolted they all look the same! John Harding F.B.O.C. dating officer
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Very old Francis Barnett

Post  garnanc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank You very much for replying....I now have a starting point, I will up date the pictures as the project moves on.

Thanks
Gary

garnanc

Back to top Go down

old bike

Post  garnanc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello again

Just a couple of other questions......are there any parts to be had and where would I find them? and based on the year does anyone know how many of these bikes are in excistance?

Thanks

garnanc

Back to top Go down

old bike

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi Gary, I have no literature for the 1929 model 9, but what I do have is some on the Villiers Surper Sports TT. I think you have a rare engine there, and it may well be 196cc. I will copy out what it says in this book I have.
Super Sports TT, Prefix letters BZ
The "Super Sports TT" engine has a detachable cylinder head,aluminium piston, the magneto giving variable ignition, anda middleweight-pattern carburetter with two-lever control. The "Brooklands" model was made specifically for racing events, the number produced being comparatively small.
The cylinder barrel has a shrunk-on heavily finned aluminium jacket, high-compression cylinder-head, padded crankshafts and large-borecarburetter, the power output bing 8.25b.h.p. at 4900 r.p.m.
The above engines are now obsolete,and spares are not available.
What about that then, I don't think Francis Barnett would have put these engines in as standard, so this must have been a specical order, or maybe it was put in at a later date.
I have a book with a 1932 Black Hawk which is very similar to yours, I will put some Pics up. Mike Cool

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

engine

Post  piston 197 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

The engine pictured above is a 2E 196 SUPERSPORTS as fitted in the model 15 yours is a model 9 and the engine is a "TT SUPERSPORTS"172cc .JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  GARNANC on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:36 am

Thanks for any and all help....the engine pictured above does look like mine....the crankcase has 2 ports, one I'm sure is for a line from the MKII oiler, but I was under the assumption that the second line from the oiler was going into the head....if so what is the other hole for in the crankcase for? Or do I have this wrong? Do you or anyone else know how this oil system works? And the carburator? Any help or info would be great. I just started this project and I am by know means a mechanic, just determind to get it running.....a set of whitworth wrenches would apparently make things easier I've been told.....so far all mechanical parts seem to be functioning including the gearbox which seems to have only 2 gears...does this sound right? The piston is flaking at the bottom but is in good shape otherwise. So I understand ...you dont think there is very much info out there or spare parts? And could you let me know the name of that book?

Thanks Much for your help

Gary

GARNANC

Back to top Go down

Post  33d6 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Gary,
The engine number prefix BZ denotes a 172ccc Super Sport TT. It is none of the others suggested.
Information is plentiful and easy. The Villiers engine by BE Browning and published by Pearsons is helpful and can usually be found on the ABE Books site. The VMCC Library is very helpful and unlike many clubs is happy to deal with non-members. They can be found on line also.
You have a much respected lightweight that is very desirable. Lucky man!!
Cheers,

33d6

Back to top Go down

old bike

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 am

Hi Gary, the book 33d6 mentioned is the book I quoted from, and the quote is all there is regarding your engine. JH was right it was a 172cc, the image I've put up is the only one that comes close to your engine, I've looked though all of my books that refer to Villiers, but cannot find an image. I have found a website that refers to your engine briefly, the addess below. Mike Cool
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

old francis barnett

Post  GAZ/JULS on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

the hole in the head is for a de compresion valve i have a 1927 mod 9 tt ss if u need more info leave me e mail add gary juls

GAZ/JULS

Back to top Go down

Post  garnanc on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks Juls.....that would be great.....garyandnanc@hotmail.com.....look forward to hearing from you.

Gary

garnanc

Back to top Go down

1928 on ebay

Post  chats on Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 am

Hi their is a bike similar to this on ebay when I looked yeserday, whether you could get info from seller or just looking at photos, I don't know if this is any help or if you know about it all ready? Paul

chats

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin27 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi,
not sure if this is forgotten topic. Just a fantastic bike, have to say. I immediately fell in love with this small beautiful bike. I know it doesn't belong here. just by the way, someone knows about similar triangular frame Francis-Barnett (Supersport TT engine would be great benefit) for sale in Europe/England?
I'm curious how restoration of this bike continue? Are there some pictures?
Marry Christmas
Martin

Martin27

Back to top Go down

Overseas

Post  kerabo on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Gary
Why not join the club and have even more nformation available to you.
Form on main website .
Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top