» plating on falcon 67
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am by alan67

» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

Carb problems.

Go down

Carb problems.

Post  Sgtbiro on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

Hi i have just put some petrol in to my carb after replacing all the seals and a good clean but petrol is coming out of the two holes in the top of the tickler pin has anyone an idea as what would cores this to happen.
Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

carb problems

Post  alan67 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi Kevin could be a couple of things first could be float level to high, or more probable float could be coming up to the right height but not sealing the needle in the seat , allowing the fuel chamber to fill and only way out is though tickler i would go down that road first have fun Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Crab flooding

Post  FB vincent on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Kevin,

It is also possible that the float has a leak, there is a soldered joint that can fracture. If you remove the float and test it by immersing it in hot water and see air bubbles emerging, you will have a problem since the float will no longer be able to keep the needle in position.

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: Carb problems.

Post  Sgtbiro on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm

alan67 wrote:Hi Kevin  could be a couple of things  first could be float level to high,  or more probable float could be coming up to the right height but not sealing the needle in the seat , allowing the fuel chamber to fill and only way out is though tickler i would go down that road first have fun Alan

Hi Alan thank you for your reply i think you are right i have ordered a new float needle as the one in the carb does not look right.

Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

carb problems

Post  alan67 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Kevin  I assume you are working on a amal monoblock  carb    now i'm not trying to tell you to suck eggs  as you may already know this,   if you want to check your float level is correct there is a little dot in the center of the float bowl cover this is were the fuel level should be , now that's not very helpful as you can't see the fuel inside the chamber,  so unscrew the pilot jet cover and push on a length of clear plastic tube on to pilot jet, let the tube bend round so you can hold the tube just in front of the float chamber, turn on fuel and it will rise up tube showing level inside chamber, you can adjust level by adding or removing thin gasket under needle valve housing, i have even  turned the base of the needle valve housing down when fuel level is very high but only 0.005" or 0.006" thou as a little adjustment makes a lot of difference,  bare in mind if all parts are new float level should be correct    Hope this help regards Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgtbiro on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm

alan67 wrote:Hi Kevin  I assume you are working on a amal monoblock  carb    now i'm not trying to tell you to suck eggs  as you may already know this,   if you want to check your float level is correct there is a little dot in the center of the float bowl cover this is were the fuel level should be , now that's not very helpful as you can't see the fuel inside the chamber,  so unscrew the pilot jet cover and push on a length of clear plastic tube on to pilot jet, let the tube bend round so you can hold the tube just in front of the float chamber, turn on fuel and it will rise up tube showing level inside chamber, you can adjust level by adding or removing thin gasket under needle valve housing, i have even  turned the base of the needle valve housing down when fuel level is very high but only 0.005" or 0.006" thou as a little adjustment makes a lot of difference,  bare in mind if all parts are new float level should be correct    Hope this help regards Alan

Hi Alan
Thanks for your help, no i did not know that i will see how i get on with the new float needle i have ordered but will keep this info to hand in case it does not work.

Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sgtbiro on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

FB vincent wrote:Kevin,

It is also possible that the float has a leak, there is a soldered joint that can fracture. If you remove the float and test it by immersing it in hot water and see air bubbles emerging, you will have a problem since the float will no longer be able to keep the needle in position.

Sandy  
Hi Sandy i will take a look at that thank you.

Cheers Kevin.

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum