» AMC 250CC CARB
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm by MR SINBAD

» VILLIERS 1H
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am by piston 197

8e gear lever

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8e gear lever

Post  alan67 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi all. can any one tell me the lenght of the gear lever used on the 8e fitted to the falcon 67. Question        thanks  Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Gear lever

Post  keith livingstone on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Alan
Just noticed this mail after relying about the speedo.
There are such a variety of Villier's gear levers with bows and bends in all directions.
Just been out to look at my collection.  the majority are about 175mm from centre of shaft to tip.  That's what I've been using on my 8E with Falcon and Captain.  These allow enough room from pedal to tip with toe of boot,  There are shorter ones but I guess they are for competition uses.     See pic of my 67 Attaching pictures can be frusrating but I think I've succeeded just.
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Picture

Post  kerabo on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Interesting little bike you have there. What version is it

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Which model

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm

It appears to be a 1954 Falcon 67
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

gear lever

Post  keith livingstone on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Hello John
Spot on as usual, 1954 Falcon 67.  In fact you back in 2010 you verified that for my vehicle registration.  Thanks for your help too as I've got front and rear mudguards, dual seat, chainguard, handle bars, headlamp shell and battery holder from you in the past (still some to be fitted).  As you can see I'm not into 'as new' restorations.  It's an on going 'resto' project.  Currently as you can see 60's bikini mudguard, RE headlamp shell, Honda 90 switch gear.  Great little bike which a few months ago I've fitted a 4 speed box.  See pic attached.  Was out last week to local show / jumble covered 80 miles.  Tufnol bushes in forks are the achilles heel.  Not sure what's the best way to upgrade those.  Have you any suggestions?
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Tufnol bushes

Post  piston 197 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 am

Keith the bushes are more than adequate for their design, if they are worn out they will need replacing, Bantam John (01246 290021) did have some in stock, they come about .005" undersize, so they have to be fitted into the fork tube and then reamed for clearance in situ.
When i had full engineering facilities i re-bushed about 20 pairs and replaced the sliding tubes with 1 1/4" seamless tube. To do this the weld has to be removed at the bottom of the old legs and the bottoms removed and refitted, a parting off tool in a lathe into the weld will release the bottoms and then they can be tapped out, they protrude about 6" into the tube.
The reamer to ream the bushes in line is an expanding one with a pilot tube screwed onto each end to act as a guide .

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Forks

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:23 am

I keep having thoughts of keeping the original steering headstock but removing the fork legs and welding in something better.
Any thoughts? Has it been done?
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Yes it has been done !

Post  piston 197 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

I had a James trial bike, the bottom yoke of the FB type forks had bee cut off a pair of FB forks by removing the weld ,this had been bored out to take a pair of |Honda TL fork legs, the top yoke had been cut off and bored to take the fork tops, both yokes had been split and a piece of tube split into two had been welded in, so that clamping bolts could tighten them onto the sliders .

Seemed like a lot of hard work to me ! The FB Falcon 67 based trials bike i used in the 90's ( which is still up the back of the shed|) has BSA Bantam/Triumph Cub yokes with Japanese sliders fitted in, bottoms machined off to look like FB forks and painted black ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: 8e gear lever

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm

piston 197 wrote:I had a James trial bike, the bottom yoke of the FB type forks had bee cut off a pair of FB forks by removing the weld ,this had been bored out to take a pair of |Honda TL fork legs, the top yoke had been cut off and bored to take the fork tops, both yokes had been split and a piece of tube split into two had been welded in, so that clamping bolts could tighten them onto the sliders .

Seemed like a lot of hard work to me ! The FB Falcon 67 based trials bike i used in the 90's ( which is still up the back of the shed|) has BSA Bantam/Triumph Cub yokes with Japanese sliders fitted in, bottoms machined off to look like FB forks and painted black ?
JH

Another job for the future should I ever have free time.
Thanks Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Re: 8e gear lever

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top