» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

» Plover rear suspension
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm by bill2b

Contact breaker screw

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contact breaker screw

Post  jasperbell on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi all,  I'm new to the forum so this topic may well have been covered previously, but does anyone know of the screw type/size that holds the contact breaker in place on a Falcon 87 (1962) model, and if so, where i could obtain such an item.  Also, the same for a centre stand spring for the same bike, any where i could find one please?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Jasper

Last edited by jasperbell on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

jasperbell

Back to top Go down

Wipac contact breaker screw/FB stand spring

Post  FB vincent on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am

jasperbell wrote:Hi all,  I'm new to the forum so this topic may well have been covered previously, but does anyone know of the screw type/size that holds the contact breaker in place on a Falcon 87 (1962) model, and if so, where i could obtain such an item.  Also, the same for a centre stand spring for the same bike, any where i could find one please?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Jasper

It will probably be a BA thread; you need to find a local stockist and see what they can provide. Francis Barnett frame threads are usually BSCY (British Standard cycle thread) and Villiers/AMC engine threads BSF (British Standard Fine), but small electrical threads are usually BA. As I noted in another reply, Villiers Services offer a complete contact breaker set.

If you use the Forum 'Search' function there have been other discussions about FB stands and their springs. Try this link: http://fboc.niceboards.org/t3377-falcon-87-centre-stand

Sandy

This is what Wikipedia says about BA threads: 'British Association screw threads, or BA screw threads, are a largely obsolete set of small screw threads, the largest being 0BA at 6 mm diameter. They were, and to some extent still are, used for miniature instruments and modelling.

They are unusual in that they were probably the most "scientific" design of screw, starting with 0BA at 6.0mm diameter and 1.0mm pitch and progressing in a geometric sequence where each larger number was 0.9 times the pitch of the last size. They then spoiled this by rounding to 2 significant figures in metric and then converting to inches and rounding to the thousandth of an inch'.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: Contact breaker screw

Post  jasperbell Yesterday at 12:30 pm

Hi Sandy,

Thank you very much for responding, that's really helpful, I shall have a search for local stockists as suggested.

Thanks again

Jasper

It will probably be a BA thread; you need to find a local stockist and see what they can provide. Francis Barnett frame threads are usually BSCY (British Standard cycle thread) and Villiers/AMC engine threads BSF (British Standard Fine), but small electrical threads are usually BA. As I noted in another reply, Villiers Services offer a complete contact breaker set.

If you use the Forum 'Search' function there have been other discussions about FB stands and their springs. Try this link: http://fboc.niceboards.org/t3377-falcon-87-centre-stand

Sandy

This is what Wikipedia says about BA threads: 'British Association screw threads, or BA screw threads, are a largely obsolete set of small screw threads, the largest being 0BA at 6 mm diameter. They were, and to some extent still are, used for miniature instruments and modelling.

They are unusual in that they were probably the most "scientific" design of screw, starting with 0BA at 6.0mm diameter and 1.0mm pitch and progressing in a geometric sequence where each larger number was 0.9 times the pitch of the last size. They then spoiled this by rounding to 2 significant figures in metric and then converting to inches and rounding to the thousandth of an inch'.[/quote]

jasperbell

Back to top Go down

Spares

Post  kerabo Yesterday at 4:30 pm

You could try Alberta Springs for your stand Spring. I think it's a push Spring?

Look on eBay for your screw and get one without leaving your chair.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281965918333

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Contact breaker screw

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top