» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

» Plover rear suspension
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm by bill2b

Plover rear suspension

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plover rear suspension

Post  bill2b on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:05 pm

In our Plover Instruction Manual it shows a spring on one side and a damper on the other, Irene's has 2 springs and no damper. Is this normal? I looked around and saw some adverts for "Rear SpringS" so perhaps there is meant to be 2
It is a bit boingy at the back, especially now I have put oil in the front forks.
bill2b

Back to top Go down

Rear spring

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm

There was an optional extra damper if you intended to ride 2 up or rough ride, it was a std feature on the James Cavalier and Export model Plovers, but was an optional extra on UK Plovers, the 2 springs provided the springing and the optional damper ( shockabsorber without spring ) provided the damping, if you look at the inside of you swing arm on the r/hand side there is a fitting for it.
I am sure a modern damper, like used on car rear tailgates could be modified if the correct length could be found, or even a slim rear suspension unit with the spring removed would suffice ??
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Plover rear suspension

Post  zorteus on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi Bill, no springs around the rear dampers on either of my Plovers, although I'm sure that I too have seen Plovers with outer springs on dampers. If memory serves correct, one of my books mentions springs, however I would have need to check....

Sorry its not much help really.

Jonathan McCullen

zorteus

Back to top Go down

Post  bill2b on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks John and Jonathan
It was just a bit confusing seeing it in the book but not on the bike Very Happy
It does seem a lot better with oil in the front end and Irene is happy with it so I won't bother damping it.
bill2b

Back to top Go down

Post  zorteus on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:34 pm

bill2b wrote:Thanks John and Jonathan
It was just a bit confusing seeing it in the book but not on the bike Very Happy
It does seem a lot better with oil in the front end and Irene is happy with it so I won't bother damping it.

No need to thank me I'm not much help, I didn't realise John had replied, he is a fountain of knowledge.

Jonathan

zorteus

Back to top Go down

Post  bill2b on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm

zorteus wrote:
bill2b wrote:Thanks John and Jonathan

No need to thank me I'm not much help, I didn't realise John had replied, he is a fountain of knowledge.

Jonathan
Jonathan, you made the effort and confirmed what I was asking so thanks are in order.
Your right about JH, he has helped us a lot already.

bill2b

Back to top Go down

Post  Mollbhan on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi Bill, I have a 59 Plover with springs on each side but no dampers, some of the roads in my part of the world are pretty potholed and rutted you certainly know about it when you hit them on the Plover, have almost been fetched off a few times, lucky I am only doing about 35mph. Just watch out for unexpected potholes.
Mollbhan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 pm

I read an article in an old magazine where the owner had fitted a damper to his James Cadet, he mentioned that NJB Shocks had made it up for him.
I contacted NJB and they remembered doing it, so i got them to make one up for my Cadet, 2yrs ago the price was 48 delivered, might be worth trying them if you want one made up, the ride is much better with it fitted.
ScottT

Back to top Go down

Post  bill2b on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks Scott, I sent an email today and have just got a reply asking for size between brackets etc.
Will let you know.
bill2b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top