» 8e gear lever
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm by kerabo

» help wanted
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm by Dickey0-1

» Cruiser 75 Generator Coils
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» ITEMS FOR SALE OR WANTED
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm by bill2b

Falcon 87. Any hints and tips for the exhaust?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  colk2004 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm starting from scratch with three bits (no hanger). I can see from whats left of the old downpipe the baffle was spot welded to the pipe - is this correct? Was there ever any kind of gasket anywhere on these things? I've seen spacers on the bolt between the downpipe tag and the barrel on some bikes - is this correct or an improvement? Any help appreciated as usual.

Thanks Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

FB 87 exhaust

Post  FB vincent on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:12 pm

There is no spacer for the downpipe fixing bolt to the cylinder; the tab should be hard against the manifold to hold the pipe securely.

There is a synthetic 'O' ring in the front of the silencer which is clamped up tight against the exhaust pipe flange when the nut at the end of the silencer is tightened.

You should have the following main components: Downpipe continuing into the detachable silencer body with baffles; there is a threaded stud and nut at the outlet end which protrudes from the silencer body. Silencer body. Bracket to attach the silencer to the footrest fitting.

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  colk2004 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

FB vincent wrote:There is no spacer for the downpipe fixing bolt to the cylinder; the tab should be hard against the manifold to hold the pipe securely.

There is a synthetic 'O' ring in the front of the silencer which is clamped up tight against the exhaust pipe flange when the nut at the end of the silencer is tightened.

You should have the following main components: Downpipe continuing into the detachable silencer body with baffles; there is a threaded stud and nut at the outlet end which protrudes from the silencer body.  Silencer body. Bracket to attach the silencer to the footrest fitting.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks again. Spot welded the baffle to the downpipe and dressed it all up. The spacers(!?) I've seen have been 3-4 washers, which is about the gap I've got using Armours supplied downpipe, bit more dressing to do I guess. I'd again guess that Armours have left me no where to put an 'o' ring but I could be wrong. Bracket is one I had off a car so bit more work to do there, but not far off now.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87. Any hints and tips for the exhaust?

Post  dalgrae on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Is this arrangement similar to the type 96 as I also bought an Armours exhaust pipe and baffle they even supplied me a detail drawing to show how it all went together with full dimensions,what was apparent was the exhaust pipe does not have the coned fitting welded to it to enable the silencer to be tightened up to the silencer ,the baffle has the threaded stud .I had numerous phone conversations with Armours about this exhaust pipe cone and they understood what I was talking about but they have never made/fitted one to the exhaust pipe,I finished up making an aluminium sleeve to fit the exhaust pipe with a built in coned collar,this was secured to the exhaust pipe with a clamp ,and allowed the silencer to be tightened against the cone effecting a seal.It might not look original but to the untrained eye looks ok and works ,I could not see any other way of securing the exhaust to the silencer.

Regards. Colin

dalgrae

Back to top Go down

silencer fitting

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes the 96 has a welded cone shaped washer on the exhaust down pipe as you describe, the 87 does not, on the early 87 original system there is a loose washer and a asbestos type washer, this slides over the baffle, but not the pipe itself, then the washer, there is a recess in the front of the silencer which seals against the asbestos washer when the nut at the end is tightened.
On later 87's there is no recess in the front of the silencer, no cup washer and no asbestos washer, there is an annular groove about 1" in from the end, in this a silicone washer, ( or silicone sealant) is present, when the silencer is butted up over the baffle it comes to a stop against where the baffle joins the front pipe and the silicone seal does the sealing.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  dalgrae on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks John

Regards. Colin

dalgrae

Back to top Go down

87 Exhaust

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Be sure to get the length correct when welding the baffle to the frontpipe. The nuts pull it forward all of the way. Try to use an O ring of some description or it will rattle.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  colk2004 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Too late Ken,

The deed is done. The silencer bolts up solid to something, so I'm hoping I've inadvertently got it right! Sure I can find something to seal it with, maybe a couple of wraps of silicon tape? Hey ho, this bike is sent to try me ;-)

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

sealing the silencer

Post  piston 197 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Take the silencer off spread a liberal coat of clear bathroom sealant silicone up the inside where it goes onto the front pipe and bolt it back on, wipe off the excess and allow to set, "job's a good'un "

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Silencer

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Look inside the front of the silencer .
There should be a very shallow groove. If you can get an O ring to fit and slide it into the front pipe with some grease you can seal it.
Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

o ring

Post  piston 197 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:14 am

Not all silencers have the annular ring, earlier ones had a loose cup washer, a recess in the front of the silencer nose and an asbestos washer,
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top