» Newbie Here
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am by mikes

» New 17T / 20T piston for sale.
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm by rob spence

coil/ condensor fault..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

coil/ condensor fault..

Post  john87 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Ok, have any of you ever had a faulty condensor and what were the symptoms??

I knew my coil was knackered. The bike ran even though the secondary was open circuit. BUT, once it got hot, it would stop until it had cooled down for a bit.

I fitted a new coil, one of the modern replica ones. For about three miles the bike ran much better. It was a LOT smoother at low revs, even though you could not detect any misfiring originally. Made a hell of a difference. Three miles later, the thing went a bit funny started to miss a lot for about 20 yards, and then stopped..

Now, you can start it easily enough, although it tries to kick back sometimes. but is will only run for a few seconds and then stop.

I have tried different [but still 60 year old] condensors but it made no difference [apart from the kicking back got worse].. Some times you can get it running for a few minutes, but it is like every few seconds someone is pressing a kill switch, and then it will catch and continue to run, until it finally stops..

I have seen cars with faulty condensors. All that happened to them was that they would start easily, but any attempt to rev them up, or drive them, and they would simply stop, or run terribly..

When it is running you can see sparking at the points, continuously, but not terrible. Is this normal?? Being used to cars, i have never actually looked at points before when a engine is running!!

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Re: coil/ condensor fault..

Post  Farley on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:41 pm

I use a modern made capacitor, 0.2microFarads with a peak voltage of no less than 450V . The new ones are cheap and they last for ages.

There shouldn’t be any sparking at the points. That’s a sign the condenser isn’t doing its job.

Michael

Sent from Topic'it App

Farley

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wakefield on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Have you checked the spark plug? it may have 'wiskered' if thats ok then try another plug

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

coil/condenser fault

Post  alan67 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 am

Hi John what bike have you got ? amc or villiers ? i have over the years restored one or two pre war fords and the condensers are often probs with the symptoms you are experiencing, with cheep copes u/s and original's 60 + years old I like John w would go for plug first as they can brake down under pressure and heat, also check for anything going to earth,[ check amp meter when it starts to misfire ] the coil you have replaced is it correct as in 12 volt or 6 volt and wires on correct way round as the wrong way round will make coil hot, check all wiring earths , ht lead , ht cap, all can be at fault , also check and clean carb Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

coil/ condensor fault..

Post  john87 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:40 am

Hi All,

Ok, i fitted the coil the same way round as the original, Firts thing i did was to try second hand caps by substitution, Not much difference.. Three caps faulty?? Well, i had three faulty coils too.. Usual thing secondary faults

Spark from the new coils is much better!

The windings test ok with a meter.

There is no external wiring that could affect it.

Tried plug, no difference.

Tried cap. No difference.

Checked carb. No difference.

Next thing, if new cap does not sort it, i will wire up an external ignition system and try it. If that works, it will show that the new coil is faulty and the supplier will be named and shamed on facebook..

Cannot see it is the coil though. i would think they either work or do not..

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wakefield on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:10 pm

You dont say what type of engine you have, sounds like a Villiers 8E or 9E with internal HT coil. As you have changed a number of coils & condensers with no improvement I think it likely to be something else. HT pick up in crankcase where HT lead exists could have a hair line crack, is the spring loaded contact to coil making good contact? also check points to make sure that any fibre washers on the pivot are in place and not worn, thus causing points to short to earth.

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

coil/ condensor fault..

Post  john87 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi again,

Yes, it is a 9E

I have tried two sets of points..

The only thing i have NOT tried, other than another coil, is the pick up, but that is brand new from same supplier. Suppose i could try another one... When i find the case i will let you know though!!

john...

john87

Back to top Go down

coil/ condensor fault..

Post  john87 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:50 pm

Ok..

Much messing later and it was the condensor. I made the mistake of trusting suppliers to sell decent stuff.

MAKE NO MISTAKE The replica chinese shit ALL the bike places sell is just that chinese shit.. DO NOT chuck your money down the drain.. I made the mistake of thinking "it is new it must be ok" when i should have trusted my instinct, and, most of all, my multimeter. [Mine measures capacitance]

If you need a condensor then you want one of about 2.2mF. A polypropylene film type, oh, and you want one rated for at least 350v dc

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Post  Farley on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi John, are you sure? 2.2microFarad seems big to me. I’ve always gone with about 0.2-0.22mF.

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from Topic'it App

Farley

Back to top Go down

coil/condenser fault

Post  alan67 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi John  glad to here you have sorted the prob, as i said previously about the old fords, there was a company who reproduced the condensers for these little cars,and as pre war stuff was getting hard to come by i thought i would purchase two , one to use, and one for a spare, the first one went for about 30 miles and the second didn't  make that , and then of cause the points were just about shot , point being after using faulty condensers check your points , oh and by the way these reproduced condensers where not your cheap chinese  these one's where top quality made in taiwan ! cheers bom  ALAN
alan67

Back to top Go down

condensor

Post  john87 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Well, i say sorted!! I have found out it IS the condensor, as i fitted one from an electric motor just as an experiment and it worked great. I had it in parallel with the old one, but it was interesting to see the difference as i connected and disconnected it.

I have ordered some "proper" capacitors so i will have an experiment now!!

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top