» 1954 Falcon 67
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm by keith livingstone

» Carb problems.
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm by Sgtbiro

wheel nut

Go down

wheel nut

Post  alan67 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

hi guys i'm looking for the thin lock nut thats on the near side of the front wheel spindle of the falcon 67 / [ pos other bikes ]  i think it measures 1/2" dia  x 20 tpi  x 3/16" thick, or has any one got a spear full nut that i can turn down to size,  or of cause the simple way is can any one tell me where i can buy a new one?  Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

wheel nuts

Post  keith livingstone on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi Alan
That thin nut on the axle is definitely a weak spot often being stripped.
As mentioned before many threads on FB 's are cycle threads. I'm pretty sure your axle is 26tpi
This is where it gets confusing.  A 67 will have a 9/16" dia spindle. The Merlin may well have 1/2" spindle.
What age is your 67?  Mine is 1954 and has ball bearings.  Some of the first 67's had ball /cone set ups.
If your's is a ball cone set up then you'll definitely new a new nut.  If ball bearing you might get away with the one you have even if the thread stripped as it's mainly acting as a spacer

Villiers Services should have all axle nuts and give great parts service.  Best to order a few more things other than just the nut.

Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

wheel nut

Post  alan67 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

hi Keith yes the bike is coming on well , frame and all tin stuff blasted and primed with still the odd repair to do but now its all clean , engine is still a oily lump under the bench as yet , these forks are still coming up with probs i'm sure someone in the past has come of bike damaged front end and replaced with merlin bits even front wheel. it's spindle is 1/2" it has 5"drum with journal bearings [ thanks for diagram ] i have found a firm called d middleton and son got lots of cycle thred ect , then ofcouse after striping forks down and cleaning i noticed springs had a tighter coil at one end compered to the other, and as for nut i cut it of rather than damage spindle and one more thing makes me think someone came of bike, big dent in tank right where fork leg came round into it , i know tails bikes have these dents but this has dent only in one side thanks for help Keith i will keep you posted as time go on or as soon as i'm in a muddle
Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Re: wheel nut

Post  Neil Lewis on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Alan,

Middleton's are very good, supplied me stuff very effectively over the last few years for my FB and Relaigh flat tank.
Neil Lewis

Back to top Go down

wheel nut

Post  alan67 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

thanks Neil always good to have a recommendation,cycle thread is getting harder to find
Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Lewis on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Well with a small hobby lathe and some stock steel - you won't have an issue :-)

I have bought most the common size dies and taps now, and a few left hand treads too. It means you can have fun making specials.

But Middleton are good for stainless doing thick and thin sizes. But I would suggest you need to be more careful about the material if you are making axles and other load bearing frame parts (if you are into built like a bridge bikes).

Cheers
Neil Lewis

Back to top Go down

wheel nut

Post  alan67 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks Neil yes here what you are saying and totally agree, my prob is that im sure the falcon 67 should have a 9/16" dia spindle prob 26tpi thread, but things have been changed with what i think is an earlier model pos merlin , spindle i have is ok but only 1/2" dia not 9/16" and not sure if it's 20 tpi or 26 tpi as i have all manner of thread gauges but not cycle thread ,i'm going to see an old mate at weekend he thinks he may have some so finger crossed Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum