» Fuel Tank cap
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

rectifier

View previous topic View next topic Go down

rectifier

Post  alan67 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi guys i know the topic of rectifiers has been mentioned once or twice on the forum before ,, but could any one tell me a way to test the rectifier on the falcon 67 its the large square on under the seat with two wire connectors thanks Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

rectifier testing

Post  Bigjim on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm

alan67 wrote:Hi guys  i know the topic of rectifiers has been mentioned once or twice on the forum before ,, but could any one tell me a way to test the rectifier on the falcon 67  its the large square on under the seat with two wire connectors thanks Alan

Do you have a multimeter, even a simple one?  There is normally a DIODE (D1 in the diagram) setting.  Switch to that. Put the red (+) lead on one side of the rectifier and the black (-) lead on the other side.  If the meter reads a very high value or even infinite, then it is blocking electricity one way.  If it reads really low ie a few ohms, it is letting electric through.
Now swap the leads, try again, it could be either a very high reading or a very low reading

If when testing all you get is HIGH or VERY LOW then it is faulty.

Bigjim

Back to top Go down

rectifier

Post  alan67 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks Jim electric not my finest but i think i know what you mean, i have a meter and i will check it out, if it proves to be us then i will fit it for looks and then wire in small bridge rectifier out of site thanks for advice Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

rectifier

Post  alan67 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm

thanks for info bigjim , my rectifier is u/s, it shows no reading at all, but i have found this on ebay item number 362095350980 have a look guys see what you think ? would this be a good replacement ? Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

6V regualtor

Post  Bigjim on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 pm

alan67 wrote:thanks for info bigjim, my rectifier is u/s, it shows no reading at all, but i have found this on eBay item number 362095350980 have a look guys see what you think? would this be a good replacement? Alan
it looks like a combined rectifier regulator in one, sounds like a good bet as stop lamp bulbs do blow, on bikes that NEVER had to have stop lamps when new, but must have them to pass MOTs, though MOTs are now almost obsolete on pre-1967 vehicles
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

rectifier..

Post  john87 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm

All a total waste of money..

A bridge rectifier will NEVER EVER work correctly either. You DO NOT connect one alternator wire to the one AC side and the other to the other. Likewise, you do not earth the one AC terminal, and connect both alternator leads together and to the other AC terminal. They are out of phase.... Likewise, you do NOT earth one DC wire from the bridge rectifier. [you will merely shunt out one diode]

EVERY wiring diagram i have EVER seen for a bridge rectifier was completely wrong. You are either going to short the coils to earth every half cycle, OR you are connecting out of phase coils together.

All you need to do, is this... There are TWO leads going to the rectifier.. Disconnect them and connect each lead to one end of a diode [so two separate leads and two separate diodes] THEN and ONLY then, connect the two together and connect the resultant single wire to the purple wire that connects to the body of the rectifier. The broad silver stripe on the diodes needs to be at the end that goes to the purple wire.

You will now have a charging system that functions as the makers intended, and trust me, it works VERY well indeed... [Oh yes, all this will cost you 50p for two diodes..]

john..

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

nearly forgot!!

Post  john87 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 pm

If you want to test the old one, remember this; IT IS TWO RECTIFIERS IN ONE. They are both COMPLETELY separate..

First you need to make a test rig with a 6v battery and a bulb. Connect this to both leads and try both ways round. Absolutely nothing should happen.

Now, connect to the ONE lead and the body of the rectifier. One way round nothing should happen. the other way round the bulb should light.

Now test the other lead, it should be exactly the same.

THERE IS NOT, AND MUST NOT, BE ANY CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TWO LEADS....

Each lead is a TOTALLY separate rectifier....

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

rectifier

Post  alan67 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks John i will have a play with old original and will still fit it even if it don't work so things look right , i hate electrics give me a bit of tin to knock around any day regards Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

rectifier..

Post  john87 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am

To be honest, i will be surprised if it does NOT work...

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Re: rectifier

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top