» Fuel Tank cap
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

17T clutch / primary chain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

17T clutch / primary chain

Post  Cruiser79 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Have got working on my 17T again after taking a break, it nearly broke me! I posted a video back in April of the kick start mechanism ratcheting when the engine was turning. I took the box apart again and figured out what was wrong, now working as it should and all gears selecting nicely.

Next task is to build up one working clutch out of the sorry remains of several. The clutch on the right is the original 17T, on the left is a spare 25T clutch. I have overhauled the 17T basket but the plates are past saving. The plates from the 25T on the left are actually semi-decent, they haven't been cleaned in the pic but the rust on the plain plates is surface. I'm guessing its safe to say I can deduct two plates from the 25T clutch, clean up the remaining five and drop them straight into my 17T basket?
     Any point using the extra two plates? Do I need to use the 25T basket, pressure plate, springs or retainers if so?

Next question is about the primary chain. The one pictured has little to no wear and fits nicely with ideal clearance/tension. Theres light - medium rust on some of the rollers though and don't want them failing or wearing out the sprockets prematurely. Can new chains be bought or am I being fussy?

Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Clutch baskets

Post  piston 197 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 am

The 17T and 25T clutch baskets should be interchangeable, but best to either do as you say , use the plates from the 25T in the 17T one and omit 2 plates as there will be a difference in adjuster screw lengths to accommodate the extra plates
The 15T uses the same basket as the 17T, but the 15T has a smaller centre spline, so centre has to be changed.
There are also 2 designs of plates on some the friction material is on the plates which locate to the centre boss and on some the friction material is on the plates which locate to the outer basket, so just check both are the same, if so use the best of what you have
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 am

What exactly do you need to make your correct clutch. I have several 20T clutch parts.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: 17T clutch / primary chain

Post  rob spence on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi cruiser 79,
can you tell us how you rectified the the kick start mechanism ratcheting when the engine was turning.
I think I may have the same problem on my 20T engine.

rob spence

Back to top Go down

Kickstart

Post  kerabo on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm

When goes all the way off it jacks it's self from the teeth and so disengages.

PM me your email address I will send you a picture

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  rob spence on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks Ken , Ive PM'd you.
By the way I got a new primary ( endless) from villiers services and it has 60 pitches, which is too long. My original has 58 pitches...is this correct.?

rob spence

Back to top Go down

Chain

Post  kerabo on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:05 pm

rob spence wrote:Thanks Ken , Ive PM'd you.
By the way I got a new primary ( endless) from villiers services and it has 60 pitches, which is too long. My original has 58 pitches...is this correct.?

Not sure on the 17T. Most likely has different primary gearing to the others.
Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser79 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for that info JH, really is much appreciated, I had a suspicion that the clutch rod would be a different length between the 17T and 25T but had no idea about the adjuster screw, you might have saved me some head scratching there when back together!

Ken, many thanks for the offer of parts, very good of you. I'm going to tackle the clutch this evening but at the moment its looking like I can make one good clutch out of three bad 17T units and a semi ok 25T. If I get stuck I'll give you a shout.

Rob Spence - the problem with the kick start ratcheting when the box was turned over turned out to be a lack of tension in the k/s return spring and incorrect assembly. I'm a total novice with these engines as demonstrated by my many questions on here but in my case it was all down to incorrect assembly. The k/s spring had enough tension to return the lever to vertical but not fully reset the k/s ratchet (item 92 in the exploded drawings in the manuals). I needed to take the end cover off the box again and rotate the k/s shaft a few teeth in relation to the corresponding teeth it meshes with in the k/s ratchet. That improved the tension and I needed to hold that tension in place by fitting the kick start lever and holding it forward to maintain tension while refitting the end cover complete with shaft and k/s ratchet into the box. Once done the ratcheting was gone and everything appears to be working as it should. Hope that makes sense

Rob

Last edited by Cruiser79 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Post  rob spence on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks cruiser 79

rob spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content