Latest topics
» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» cruiser 80 chain guard
Yesterday at 9:27 pm by william105

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

» Rolling 40 year MoT exemption starts May 2018
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm by John Wakefield

» 1H ENGINE PARTS
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm by Bigjim

F-B Plover 95 - how to stop the motor?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  1953Man on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Dear Friends, I have just bought a 1964 F-B Plover model 95 - the motor runs very nicely, but there seems to be a problem stopping it. Turning the petrol off does the trick, but it's not quick! I have looked everywhere for a 'kill' button, but can't see one. Is there another owner of this model in the club who can solve this mystery for me? Maybe the bike has something missing - there are some other things to be done. Safe riding to all and many thanks for the welcome to the club. From James (member 272)

1953Man

Back to top Go down

Re: F-B Plover 95 - how to stop the motor?!

Post  Mollbhan on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi, I have a 1959 Plover, it has a stop switch just a simple toggle switch fitted to the fairing below the front end of the dualseat, I don't know if this is standard fitment or not. the wiring involves an extension of the wire which goes from the ignition coil to the points and passes through the toggle switch. It would probably need the flywheel removed to fit.
Mollbhan

Back to top Go down

Cut out switch

Post  piston 197 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 am

There is no cut out switch on the Plover and as said above only way is to short the ignition as mentioned above, but surely the easiest way is to gently let out the clutch with it ticking over in gear and stall it ?Having your foot on the brake pedal helps
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Engine stop

Post  FB vincent on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 am

If you use the forum 'Search function' you will find that this subject is often discussed. This is what I said previously:

'It is normal on 2 stroke engines to set the carburettor so that the throttle shuts completely when the handlebar twistgrip is backed off.

This discussion has taken place many times on this forum. Villiers carburettors (normally) have no throttle stop at all; the Amal carb fitted to your engine does have a throttle stop, but the design was used on both 4 and 2 stroke engines so included this feature.

2 stroke engines will normally tend to 4 stroke on the overrun unless the throttle is completely shut, hence the lack of a throttle stop.

The above may seem odd to those used to modern bikes, but we are talking about 60 years ago when the world was different!'

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  Mollbhan on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am

Some years back I had a Suzuki T350, once when overtaking traffic the throttle jammed wide open,very exciting in fact one of lifes moments which is never forgotten, the ignition switch on the Suzuki was quite unreachable when on the move. This event prompted me to fit a kill switch on the handlebars, I felt a lot safer after doing that.
Mollbhan

Back to top Go down

Post  1953Man on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am

Dear All, Many thanks for that wealth of ideas and info! The previous owner of my 1936 Cruiser has fitted a simple toggle switch which works satisfactorily and I think I'll do that with the Plover as well. Times have indeed changed, but it does still seem strange to me not to have a recognised way of stopping an engine - even 50 years ago - especially when it is so simple to fit a switch. Like many of you, I am sure, I have been riding motorcycles since I was a schoolboy, and I don't think I have ever come across this one before! There has always been a key, or a knob, or a switch or even a decompressor. Never too old to learn new stuff, though. But apologies for asking a common question Embarassed - new to the forum and not very much at ease with computers - will check the 'search' next time. Kind regards from James (272)

1953Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top