» Double lift centre stand
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm by FB vincent

» Contact breaker screw
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 pm by jasperbell

» AMC 250CC CARB
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm by MR SINBAD

» VILLIERS 1H
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am by piston 197

Opions sort on FB Cruiser 80 250cc as a rideable bike.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opions sort on FB Cruiser 80 250cc as a rideable bike.

Post  casperboat on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi. I currently ride a 1930 bike and it's a bit of a handful to ride too much, so I'm looking for something easier to ride that I can cruise around on, also something that won't cost much to buy.
I'm thinking of looking at a Cruiser 80 250cc 2 stroke. I don't know anything about them and wondered what they are like to ride and what speed they can comfortably cruise along at. There's also a Plover 150cc near me, but I expect that will not have much power to ride about on..
Anything I should be looking at in particular when I view the bike would be helpful.
Thanks.
Gary

casperboat

Back to top Go down

Cruisrer 80.

Post  Sorcererflyer on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Casperboat.
I recently got my Cruiser 80 on the road after a three-year shoestring rebuild. My farthest journey so far has been about 40 miles from home. It seems to be happiest at about 40 miles an hour, but I am being very gentle with it, in deference to the new, tight piston. I would not like to take it onto a motorway or dual carriageway, but here in Ireland, there is a wide choice of lightly-trafficked minor roads. My ambition is to ride to Galway and back from Dublin, a trip I did on my Falcon 87 in 1969 as a teenager.

Best Regards- Sorcererflyer.

Sorcererflyer

Back to top Go down

Re: Opions sort on FB Cruiser 80 250cc as a rideable bike.

Post  casperboat on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi. Thanks for the reply. No shortage of country lanes here in South Shropshire, but it is a bit hilly. I used to have a 1949 Bantam, which I could just get to 40 mph on a long flat, but it was very very slow on hills, normally about 20 mph.. That is what I would like to avoid.
Regards. Gary

casperboat

Back to top Go down

Post  BarnettBilly on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 am

Hi Gary,

I have a 1958 FB Cruiser 80 with the AMC 25T engine. After several mishaps, which all were my fault, the bike runs great. I have been all over Europe and through Morocco on my Cruiser. I am self-taught with doing the mechanics on my bike and unfortunately I made some expensive mistakes that were all down to my own ignorance and impatience. I would say that if you bought the bike and bought a service manual for it, and then followed the manual to the T, then you won't have any problems. You will here people say that the rings blow all of the time, this is not the case if you have a rebore done by a reputable engineer. I have put at least 12,000miles on my bike since the last rebore.
As far as performance goes, I comfortably sit at 50mph on a flat. If you have a head wind then this can be reduced to low 40's. Likewise, a tail wind will have you sitting at 60 mph easy. I have a definite sweet spot at 56mph, and if the conditions allow, the bike runs so smooth and comfortable. Just to see what I could get the bike up to, I have had 67mph downhill without any issues. Hills can be a little challenging, but a good run up will see you maintain 40mph or more. I used to regularly ride on the A31 at Ringwood at 60mph and when approaching a very long and steep hill, I rarely went below 45mph which would keep up with HGV's and the like.
I have a few spare pistons and because of the negative views on the engine, I spent every ride one summer trying to 'break' the engine, alas nothing broke, nothing changed and the bike ran exactly as I would have hoped. I carry out regular decoking to check the rings and piston top which helps keep the top end in good condition. The bottom ends are bullet proof.
I have several other British 4 strokes but the Cruiser is my favourite to ride.
All in all, I love my bike but you will find many who won't.
Good luck,
Christian
BarnettBilly

Back to top Go down

Post  casperboat on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks for the information. I shall have to see what this bike is like..
Gary

casperboat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top