» Fuel Tank cap
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

Flywheel woodruff key

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flywheel woodruff key

Post  Geoff Hooper on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Having got my cruiser (Villiers 1H) started having been in boxes for.... ? ever. I was in the midst of celebrating when it stopped. It started and stopped a few times. Then it stopped with a kind of sliding noise. So I looked up previous threads and.... the flywheel woodruff key had sheared. So. The nut was loose, but may have loosened BECAUSE the key sheared... so the surface of the inside of the flywheel is shiney and lovely. The crankshaft end, though not damaged by the woodruff key, has that uneven look of old steel. Please can someone tell me how I should proceed. I really REALLY do not want to have to split the crankcase. Many thanks in advance... it really was exciting getting her going, even if it only lasted a few moments. Cheers, Geoff
Geoff Hooper

Back to top Go down

Flywheel key

Post  kerabo on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Keys are more to locate than hold. The taper should do the holding. Remove the key and lap the flywheel onto the crank taper with coarse grinding paste until both surfaces are looking like they have total contact. Remove every bit of paste so it's clean metal and fit the key any flywheel and do up tight.
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Flywheel woodruff key

Post  Geoff Hooper on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks Ken, I understand the principle that it is the friction between the taper and the flywheel that does the holding. Do you mean by 'lapping' smearing the paste on the taper and turning the flywheel round on it? I guess I need to get it smooth as poss? Thanks again. Geoff
Geoff Hooper

Back to top Go down

Post  kerabo on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:50 am

Geoff Hooper wrote:Thanks Ken, I understand the principle that it is the friction between the taper and the flywheel that does the holding. Do you mean by 'lapping' smearing the paste on the taper and turning the flywheel round on it? I guess I need to get it smooth as poss?  Thanks again. Geoff

Yes that exactly. It's a slow process but normally works.
Be sure to remover every bit after as it can leave a slimy surface that will let it move

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top