Latest topics
» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» cruiser 80 chain guard
Yesterday at 9:27 pm by william105

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

» Rolling 40 year MoT exemption starts May 2018
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm by John Wakefield

» 1H ENGINE PARTS
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm by Bigjim


Original drawings

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi all, does anyone know if the original drawings for FBs still exist if so who has them.

Cheers Kevin.

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

FB records

Post  FB vincent on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 am

Kevin,

Unless anyone knows differently, sadly I believe nothing remains of the FB records. Presumably some were transferred to the James factory at Greet when production ended at Coventry, but I am not aware that anything survived the collapse of the AMC group.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny the above.

Sandy


FB vincent

Posts : 563
Join date : 2009-01-20
Location : Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

You never know !

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 am

Strangely enough my step daughter's boyfriend found a book at Ledbury car boot sale and bought it for £2 it was the AMC drawing ledger from about 1938 to 1959, listing all of the drawings by part No of AJS Matchless machines, where the drawing was stored,part Nos, models that used these parts, replacement parts and drawing location, The book was about 4 inches thick and mostly hand written, it is now in the hands of the AJS/Matchless owners club dating officer Roy Bellett

so you never know what might turn up where ?

JH
avatar
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 3543
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 pm

FB vincent wrote:Kevin,

Unless anyone knows differently, sadly I believe nothing remains of the FB records. Presumably some were transferred to the James factory at Greet when production ended at Coventry, but I am not aware that anything survived the collapse of the AMC group.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny the above.  

Sandy

Hi Sandy thanks for the reply it is very sad that we have lost all these records its all part of motorcycle history.

Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:34 pm

piston 197 wrote:Strangely enough my step daughter's boyfriend found a book at Ledbury car boot sale and bought it for £2 it was the AMC drawing ledger from about 1938 to 1959, listing all of the drawings by part No of AJS Matchless machines, where the drawing was stored,part Nos, models that used these parts, replacement parts and drawing location, The book was about 4 inches thick and mostly hand written, it is now in the hands of the AJS/Matchless owners club dating officer Roy Bellett

so you never know what might turn up where ?

JH
Hi John i dont know if you have been following some of my other posts but i am looking for a main stand cam part No 6114 can you remember ever seeing any up for sale as i seam to be out of luck finding one.

Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:56 pm

I have various stand parts for the double lift stand, but there are no cam plates among them, I am assuming the parts you need are the ones with the hex hole in them that cam the stand up to the high point when the double lift hex bar is depressed ? I hve just the side plates and odd bits sorry
JH
avatar
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 3543
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:01 pm

piston 197 wrote:  I have various  stand parts for the double lift stand, but there are no cam plates among them, I am assuming the parts you need are the ones with the hex hole in them that cam the stand up to the high point when the double lift hex bar is depressed ? I hve just the side plates and odd bits sorry
JH

Yer they are the ones thanks for looking, thats why i was looking for the drawings so i could make my own as they seam a bit thin on the ground.

Cheers Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Kim on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:48 am

Sgtbiro wrote:
piston 197 wrote:  I have various  stand parts for the double lift stand, but there are no cam plates among them, I am assuming the parts you need are the ones with the hex hole in them that cam the stand up to the high point when the double lift hex bar is depressed ? I hve just the side plates and odd bits sorry
JH

Yer they are the ones thanks for looking, thats why i was looking for the drawings so i could make my own as they seam a bit thin on the ground.

Cheers Kevin..


These what you looking for? if so, PM me your address and I will mail them. I live in New Zealand so they will take a couple of weeks. These are off a cruiser 84 but I think they are all the same. Perhaps JH could confirm that?
avatar
Kim

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Tauranga New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Stand parts

Post  piston 197 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am

I know that some of the parts of the 84 stand are the same as the 80 stand, and some are different, but believe the cams to be the same, unfortunately I do not have parts books for both to check the numbers .
The Cruiser 75 stand shares some components as well, but some are different, as the exhaust is on the opposite side to the AMC bikes so stand is oppositely handed
JH
avatar
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 3543
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Kim on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

piston 197 wrote:I  know that some of the parts of the 84 stand are the same as the 80 stand, and some are different, but believe the cams to be the same, unfortunately I do not have parts books for both to check the numbers .
The Cruiser 75 stand shares some components as well, but some are different, as the exhaust is on the opposite side to the AMC bikes so stand is oppositely handed
JH

I have just found some info (stand assembly instructions and drawings of the stand parts sent to me by another member) that says the part number for the cams on a Cruiser 84 is 6794 so unless they changed part number or used different ones for different years/models I have to assume that the cam's I have are the wrong ones.
avatar
Kim

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Tauranga New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Kim wrote:
piston 197 wrote:I  know that some of the parts of the 84 stand are the same as the 80 stand, and some are different, but believe the cams to be the same, unfortunately I do not have parts books for both to check the numbers .
The Cruiser 75 stand shares some components as well, but some are different, as the exhaust is on the opposite side to the AMC bikes so stand is oppositely handed
JH

I have just found some info (stand assembly instructions and drawings of the stand parts sent to me by another member) that says the part number for the cams on a Cruiser 84 is 6794 so unless they changed part number or used different ones for different years/models I have to assume that the cam's I have are the wrong ones.

Hi. Thank you Kim and John, i am just wondering if these are not the right ones they might still fit with a bit of alteration so might be worth while still getting them sent over.

Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Cruiser 80 centre stand cam plate

Post  FB vincent on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:50 pm

According to the early parts list for the Cruiser 80, they are part 6114 which differs from part 6794 for the (later) Cruiser 84. I am not an expert on Cruiser 80/84 stands so cannot advise whether they are interchangeable.

Sandy

FB vincent

Posts : 563
Join date : 2009-01-20
Location : Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Stand Parts

Post  Sgtbiro on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm

FB vincent wrote:According to the early parts list for the Cruiser 80, they are part 6114 which differs from part 6794 for the (later) Cruiser 84. I am not an expert on Cruiser 80/84 stands so cannot advise whether they are interchangeable.

Sandy
Hi Sandy.
I am still going to get Kim to send them over for me as they still might be some good with a bit of fettling.

Kevin..

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

hi lift stand cam plates.

Post  mike Sayer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi all, as far as I am aware, the cam plates and also other parts used on the high lift stands for the models 80 & 84ARE DIFFERENT..
Referring to the illustrations in the respective instruction manuals, it seems to me to be clear that whilst the method of operation is the same, the individual parts are different for each model. The make - up of the frames is different so, as I see it, the transfer of high-lift parts between the two models is a no go.
I have made up three high lift stands for my 84`s using my own drawings with dimensions taken from an original assembly lent to me. I did make one alteration from the original & this was to substitute square section bar for the original hexagon section bar used for the operating arm. This was because I found it much easier to make square holes in the parts rather than hexagonal holes.These three stands work fine!
Regards, Mike.
avatar
mike Sayer

Posts : 222
Join date : 2008-02-12
Age : 77
Location : east of England

Back to top Go down

Lift stands etc

Post  Bigjim on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:03 pm

If anyone has defacto dimensions, and they will send them to me, I will cad draw them up. I use a laser cutting service to get metal parts cut out. They just need my cad files.
Then if anyone else wants them cut, or needs the export file I will give them the necessary.
avatar
Bigjim

Posts : 104
Join date : 2016-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 pm

mike Sayer wrote:Hi all,  as far as I am aware, the cam plates and also other parts used on the high lift stands for the models 80 & 84ARE DIFFERENT..
Referring to the illustrations in the respective instruction manuals, it seems to me to be clear that whilst the method of operation is the same, the individual parts are different for each model. The make - up of the frames is different so, as I see it, the transfer of high-lift parts between the two models is a no go.
I have made up three high lift stands for my 84`s using my own drawings with dimensions taken from an original assembly lent to me. I did make one alteration from the original & this was to substitute square section bar for the original hexagon section bar used for the operating arm. This was because I found it much easier to make square holes in the parts rather than hexagonal holes.These three stands work fine!
Regards, Mike.
Hi Mike
Just received some drawings from Kim in New Zealand which clearly shows the difference between the two models so I will just keep looking for the correct one's

Cheers Kevin

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sgtbiro on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Bigjim wrote:If anyone has defacto dimensions, and they will send them to me, I will cad draw them up. I use a laser cutting service to get metal parts cut out. They just need my cad files.
Then if anyone else wants them cut, or needs the export file I will give them the necessary.
Hi Jim that's very kind of you just hope someone will be kind enough to send you the details as I think it's the only way I think I will get some.

Cheers Kevin.

Sgtbiro

Posts : 55
Join date : 2017-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Kim on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:05 am

Sgtbiro wrote:
mike Sayer wrote:Hi all,  as far as I am aware, the cam plates and also other parts used on the high lift stands for the models 80 & 84ARE DIFFERENT..
Referring to the illustrations in the respective instruction manuals, it seems to me to be clear that whilst the method of operation is the same, the individual parts are different for each model. The make - up of the frames is different so, as I see it, the transfer of high-lift parts between the two models is a no go.
I have made up three high lift stands for my 84`s using my own drawings with dimensions taken from an original assembly lent to me. I did make one alteration from the original & this was to substitute square section bar for the original hexagon section bar used for the operating arm. This was because I found it much easier to make square holes in the parts rather than hexagonal holes.These three stands work fine!
Regards, Mike.
Hi Mike
Just received some drawings from Kim in New Zealand which clearly shows the difference between the two models so I will just keep looking for the correct one's

Cheers Kevin
Kevin. The picture I sent was drawn by Mike and he is the guru for all things '84" so if he says they are different, they are different. You may still find the parts useful to modify. As mike says, the hard bit is the hex hole so maybe cut that to bit off and weld it into another piece of steel. If you find them to be of no use I'm sure someone else will.
Kim
avatar
Kim

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Tauranga New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:50 am

Hi BJ, I've had a look though my spares and found two different types of cam neither of which are right, the top one as you see in the picture is the right shape but has a small hexagon whereas the other has the right sized hexagon but is the wrong shape, they both look like they have been drop forged not home made, they sound like they could have been hardened too. As for the dimensions, Thickness 4mm. Width 31mm. Length 67mm. The exact size of the hexagon I'm not sure about, it's just over 13mm, someone will know.

Mike
Having a problem with the picture
avatar
MoscowFlyer

Posts : 1056
Join date : 2008-02-21
Age : 71
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Cam Picture

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am



DOUBLE CLICK on the PICTURE to Enlarge

Thanks for that Steve, is there any way to get it bigger? Wallpaper maybe. Mike


Last edited by MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:51 am; edited 5 times in total
avatar
MoscowFlyer

Posts : 1056
Join date : 2008-02-21
Age : 71
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  fulmar88 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 am

Mike, I don't think we can use tiny pic anymore. I use the button above 3 left of the YouTube symbol (it appears when you are posting a reply). It's simple but not obvious to use. Give it a go.

Steve.
avatar
fulmar88

Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-03-15
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Cam Picture take two

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:38 am

https://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/12/15/45/85/double12.jpg

Just Double Click on this code


Last edited by MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Testing)
avatar
MoscowFlyer

Posts : 1056
Join date : 2008-02-21
Age : 71
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  fulmar88 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:48 am

MoscowFlyer wrote:

Thanks for that Steve, is there any way to get it bigger? Wallpaper maybe. Mike

Not sure why it's small. Mine are usually too big. But either way you can click on the picture to get to full size.
avatar
fulmar88

Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-03-15
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Cam Picture

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks Steve, I there in the end. Mike
avatar
MoscowFlyer

Posts : 1056
Join date : 2008-02-21
Age : 71
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

cams

Post  piston 197 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

Top one in Mike's pic looks to be what I am familiar with for a Cruiser 80 ??
JH
avatar
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 3543
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Original drawings

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum