» Exhaust for AMC trials
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm by rob spence

» A nice ride out
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am by kerabo

Fitting Japanase trail bike forks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fitting Japanase trail bike forks

Post  ron.wright26@gmail.com on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Has any forum member fitted a set of Japanese Trail bike forks. What were your experiences and what recommendations can anyone make. I have a set of forks from a Suzuki and a 21" front wheel. I was hoping to get some TL yokes but that has fallen through. Love to hear from anyone who has done such a conversion

ron.wright26@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Forks

Post  kerabo on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm

That's an interesting one Ron.
I read about this a few days ago but can't remember where. I can tell you the Norton FB trials forks will fit but from memory the steering stops are different. They are quiet heavy compared to some.
The thing is Ron it's no longer a Francis Barnett when you change these things.
Look or ask on the Pre 65 trials forum
Post your outcome please

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Forks

Post  kerabo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm

There was a Francis Barnett doing the trials demo at Founders day with Strange forks so had a word . Suzuki TS125 he said . Bit of machining but they looked OK. He could have used that wheel but decided to fit a Honda with alloy rim .
I could see he used the FB bearings and cases but fitted the TS forks onto that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192105962146

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Fitting Japanese trail bike forks

Post  ron.wright26@gmail.com on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:07 pm

It looks as if this is a fairly easy modification. The TL forks and yokes did not materialise but in their place I got from a friend a top and bottom yoke set which I think is TS Suzuki plus the matching forks and front 21" wheel. All for 60. The steering yoke was offered up to the current frame and once the inside diameter on the original FB steering cups were opened out to 26mm the steering head went in easy. The steering column had already been modified for a Bantam trials bike and needs lengthening 1" which any competent engineering shop can do easily enough. The improvement on ride comfort will be immense plus it will raise the ride height. The current rear shocks are 295mm in length. I have tried a set from some unknown trail bike which are 325mm in length and some from a TL Honda which are 350mm in length. The TL ones are to long but the 325mm ones seem just right. This gives about 1.5 inches in lift. From past experience once I fit a larger rear sprocket I will need to have a chain tensioner fitted to stop the chain running on the swingng arm.

ron.wright26@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Forks

Post  kerabo on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Good stuff
Please keep us updated

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitting Japanase trail bike forks

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top