» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Yesterday at 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am by john87

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

» Fitting Japanase trail bike forks
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm by kerabo

» Falcon 55 Vibration
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am by Jack Clegg

Still having running problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Still having running problems

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Just finished rebuilding the top end and after replacing the coil and condenser and adjusting the points, setting up the timing and stripping and cleaning the carb I still can't get it to run for more than a couple of seconds. To start it I have to spray easy start into the carb and it will run and respond to the throttle for about four or five seconds and then cut out. Even spraying easy start into the carb while running won't stop it cutting out. I've cleaned the tank, filled it with fresh fuel and replaced the tap and pipe just to be sure that there is no gunk blocking the carb.

It's as though its getting no fuel but unless I'm missing something that does not seem to be the case. The carb seems to be original (S19?) and the only thing I can see wrong with it is that the tickler spring is missing. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start I would be grateful. I was going to try to source another carb just to see if it made a difference.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

S19 carb

Post  piston 197 on Tue May 30, 2017 2:44 pm

If it is a S19 I am guessing you have a 150cc Villiers powered Kestrel or Plover as no other FB used this carb?
Have you set the throttle needle height correctly ? The needle should protrude 2.015" below the flat of the throttle slide, it is adjusted by the screw in the centre of the slide.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Still having running problems

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi John

Thats interesting as I had assumed that it was original and that it was an S19 from what I could see after a search. It is marked Villiers and on the bowl is MkIII. Mine is a '57 Falcon 74 so someone may have fitted the nearest thing at hand at some stage if its not original. Which carb should the Falcon 74 have?, perhaps I might be able to find something suitable second hand to try to sort the problem.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

carburettors

Post  piston 197 on Tue May 30, 2017 3:09 pm

You should not be able to fit a S19 to a 197 engine as the fitting is smaller ! it is designed to fit the 30C 147cc engine which has a stub fit cast on as part of the barrel
The Falcon 74 should have the S25 and the needle setting on this is 1.95" from bottom of slide

Quick check as to which you have, the hole through the centre of the carb ( venturi) on a S19 is 19mm and on a S25 it is 25mm, it is where the numbering system comes from , following this on I guess you can work out the size of an S22 carb ?

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Well John having just checked the venturi with a gauge it comes in at 28.5mm with the needle a fraction over 2 inches (53mm) from the slide. Could the 3.5mm difference be down to wear? The slide at 28.5mm is tight in the venturi.

So if I have the correct carb and set correctly is there anything that might prevent a flow of fuel given that I blew through all the jets I could find with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

28.5mm ??

Post  piston 197 on Tue May 30, 2017 3:51 pm

You are measuring the horizontal hole ? it cannot possibly have worm 3.5mm ??
There is a stub fit relief in the front of the carb where it pushes onto the stub of the manifold, then a smaller reduced diameter equivalent to the inner diameter of the manifold which should be 25mm ?
The needle setting should be 1.95mm set this first, then adjust the air screw fully in and then 1 1/2 turns out
The carb should flood/leak when the tickler is depressed and held down and then stop when the tickler is released, the choke flap should be closed for initial starting from cold, or the tickler held depressed when it starts initially

Also check your carb float is the right way up, it has "bottom" stamped on the side which should be at the bottom
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello John

That was a big help. I set the needle to 1.95" reset the air screw and went through the starting procedure again. It still needed the easy start but once it started it continued to run but only at about 3000 rpm and above without any problems. However shutting the throttle to about 2000 rpm the engine stalled and would not restart without more easy start. I think I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement carb but at least I seem to be on the right path now, many thanks for your help.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I forgot to mention that I had come across your advice on the float in an earlier post and had ensured that it was the right way up.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

starting problems

Post  piston 197 on Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Have you replaced the crank case seals ? and or piston rings, and what state is the bore and piston in, both of these items affect the amount of suction through the inlet tract, and if there is a poor seal in either of these areas it will give the problems you are having, if everything else is ok ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Yes John both seals and the rings were replaced as the seals had dried up and one of the rings was missing. The bore when measured seemed fine so I stuck to a standard set of rings.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top