» Exhaust for AMC trials
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm by rob spence

» A nice ride out
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am by kerabo

Falcon 74 wiring question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon 74 wiring question

Post  pecon on Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

While wiring up the rectifier with a new loom I noticed that the wiring diagram for the four position switch setup only shows the centre block with one purple wire whereas mine has two with the wires so discoloured that it is impossible to tell their original colours. Should these be joined together to the purple?.

Unfortunately when I was stripping down the loom it was in very bad condition with missing wiring so I could not trace it back. The new loom also has two green and one purple wires marked for the rectifier. I know that one green goes to the switch but I'm not sure where the other goes without opening the loom which I am reluctant to do.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon wiring question

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu May 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Peter, on the wiring diagram I have it shows one green wire going to number 2 connector on the headlight switch and the other green wire going to the magneto generator, both of these wires are fixed to the bottom right hand corner of the rectifier, the purple wire is shown going to the - side of the ammeter first then on to number 4 connector on the headlight switch, remember the rectifier should be insulated from the rest of the bike. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 74 wiring question

Post  pecon on Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello Mike, on the new wiring loom there are three wires tied together marked "rectifier". Two green, one from the mag and one from the switch as you mentioned, and a purple wire from the ammeter which is the one I can't figure out where to connect. On the wiring diagram I have it shows it connected to the single wire in the centre of the rectifier, the problem is there are two in the centre block on mine. BTW you mention connecting the two greens to the bottom right, originally on mine these wires were connected to the top right, does it make a difference?.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon wiring question

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu May 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi Peter, no I don't see it makes any difference which corner you fit them to, only problem with fitting them to the top is, that is where the fixing bolts go. Have you considered fitting a modern bridge type rectifier? they give little trouble and are really cheap to buy, example below. Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KBPC3504-Graetz-Bridge-Rectifier-Diodes-35A-400V-/231185747645?hash=item35d3be8ebd:g:k7UAAOxyjxlTLF8Z
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 pm

To be honest Mike, I don't even know if the current one works as I have never had the bike running long enough to check. If itís not, a distinct possibility as it's been laid up for many years, I'll go that route. I did come across a diagram on this site which seemed to show both centre wires joined to the purple from the ammeter, but I don't want to try this without confirmation that this is correct.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 pm

This is my wiring of the rectifier of my model 87 I know it not the same as your but may
be of some help the red wire is going to earth .
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks BB, if the original is US the bridge rectifier would seem to be the way to go.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Wiring

Post  kerabo on Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

See his picture
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon on Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks Ken, that diagram will be very useful to have, and not just for this bike.

Peter

pecon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top