» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Yesterday at 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am by john87

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

» Fitting Japanase trail bike forks
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm by kerabo

» Falcon 55 Vibration
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am by Jack Clegg

Silencer de coke

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Silencer de coke

Post  banjo boy on Fri May 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi members
How often do you need to de coke silencer ? my bike is a model 87 engine was completely rebuilt approximately 650 miles ago running with silkoleen fully synthetic at 33:1 plug is clean not oily, today took bike for MOT but seemed a bit sluggish than normal, also tone of silencer sounded a little different,just shone a torch into silencer which did seem a bit coked but not that bad, if it does need doing what is the best and safest way many thanks in advance

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Silencer decoke

Post  FB vincent on Sun May 07, 2017 4:11 pm

In the early 1950's FB did have a problem with silencers which could not be dismantled, but by the time the AMC engines had been installed the Falcon and Cruiser silencers could be easily taken apart for cleaning. In the case of the Falcon 87, the exhaust passages are large and are very unlikely to become coked - the exhaust gas freedom probably in part results in the reputation for noise that these bikes have. However, you can easily check the narrowest part of these silencers, the longitudinal slot where the gases escape to the atmosphere (Don't tell the London mayor about this). It is just possible that ancient crud in the down pipe has become detached and is trapped here; a length of bent fencing wire will sort this out. Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Silencer

Post  kerabo on Sun May 07, 2017 6:38 pm

I would be very supprised if it's blocked epically are you using that oil. It's done nothing really with those few miles.
Mine 87 has done Nealy 5000 and is still clean mind you I make it work hard.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Silencer de coke

Post  banjo boy on Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Thank you Sandy and Ken for your replies, Sandy you are right about the slot and old crud, I decided to remove the silencer and a lot of decades of coke fell out and the slot was nearly completely blocked, I haven't been out for a test but did start the bike and it sounded much better and the throttle response was much  better too, Ken the rest of the pipe and baffle where very clean it was the first time I have removed the silencer since rebuild and the vibration Probably shook the old coke away. Thanks again Sandy and Ken for your help.

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Re: Silencer de coke

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top