» Is my coil faulty??
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 pm by Druid

» Villiers S25/7
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:34 pm by john87

8E Timing check

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8E Timing check

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Today I started my 8E engined project for the first time. I don't have a kickstart yet so spun it up with a drill. It eventually started but wasn't as smooth as I had hoped for.
I had already fitted a new condenser and gapped the points.
It's the first time I have worked on the 8E points and one thing is strange in that it insulates the complete points including the adjusters and screw.
I realise it has to but most would just use washers. I could see this could lead to problems if people change bits for non insulated.

Is this correct? TDC and the arrow on the flywheel lined with the cutaway, this makes it points just opening at about 5/16".

The points are sparking more then I thought they should and to me that says Condenser even though it's new.
It's popping in the carb and the silencer while trying to start. Eventually it attempts to fire up but not like it should.

This one has the lighting coils removed.
New piston, rings, mains, and seals.
Seems to have a good spark while spinning over.

Any ideas?

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Timing?

Post  piston 197 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Did you really mean 5/16" before TDC ? the 8E should be 5/32" before TDC points opening as you suggest is massively advanced.
Suggest re-set the timing to correct figure , point just breaking 5/32" BTDC and check carb setting
Needle 1.95" protruding below flat on slide and air screw 1 1/2 turns out from fully home
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

timing an 8E

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:19 pm

That was just a guess John after I timed it using TDC and the mark on the flywheel. I put a marker in the plug hole just to see where the piston was when the points opened. I never measured it.
So is it not correct to set TDC and the mark on the flywheel?
Do back plates and the marks on the flywheel vary?

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Timing

Post  piston 197 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:32 pm

The marks are made on the flywheel once the engine is timed at the factory at 5/32" BTDC ,
Now if you have the original flywheel fitted at the factory the mark will be relevant, if you do not have the original flywheel it may be incorrect as there is tolerance on the cam grind, the cam position and various other factors, so unless you can guarantee you have the original factory fitted flywheel you are always better off doing it by measuring the 5/32 BTDC and the points break point !

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

8E Timing

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:51 pm

piston 197 wrote:The marks are made on the flywheel once the engine is timed at the factory at 5/32" BTDC ,
Now if you have the original flywheel  fitted  at the factory the mark will be relevant, if you do not have the original flywheel it may be incorrect as there is tolerance on the cam grind, the cam position and various other factors, so unless you can guarantee you have the original factory fitted flywheel you are always better off doing it by measuring the  5/32 BTDC and the points break point !

JH

Thank you John
kerabo

Back to top Go down

8E problems

Post  kerabo on Wed May 03, 2017 6:12 pm

I now have it running.
The spark issue was a condencer so have fitted an external but still within the flywheel  one from a car.
The popping was the flywheel moving on the taper.
Bit supprised as it was quiet tight and ran at Nealy an inch out.
Lapped it onto the taper with grinding paste and seems ok now.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

lapping taper

Post  john87 on Thu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Once you have finished lapping with the grinding paste, try solvol autosol next!! This will get you a REALLY nice fit!!!

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Re: 8E Timing check

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top