Latest topics
» Villiers 2E
Today at 7:16 pm by ScottT

» FBOC AGM 12th August
Today at 4:13 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Today at 9:56 am by teebee67

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Today at 8:57 am by john87

» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

Running rough

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running rough

Post  banjo boy on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi
As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it,well I have,my model 87 as been running great for the last two years,so I bought new points condenser and a length of new HT the reason to renew is that these came with the bike which after I rebuilt the bike I just cleaned them And put back,so all I have done is replace these parts nothing more, started the bike up run good revved up and down and ticked over like before, took it out for test went fine but the started to spit back through carb and pop through the silencer but if you gave more revs it would be ok ish but it got worse, so got it home and replace the condenser for the old one,again run fine until the road test put back the original HT lead still no difference, I am thinking have I connected the condenser and the main power supply correctly,can any one help here,I have plenty of fuel running 33:1 fully synthetic but as I have not touched the carb I can't see it being that it as a new battery fully charged,I know I should have left it but replacing these I didn't think it would run like a bag of crap.thank you in advance. Sad

Regards

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Running rough

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Have you got the points too close?
Do you gave any lift in yout main bearings as it can flutter and make the points open t the wrong place. Just go a touch wider just to try it.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Running rough

Post  banjo boy on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Ken the bottom end has been completely overhauled about 500 miles ago big and little end and all mains seals etc,Tonight I have rechecked gap set to 12 thou and getting a nice consistent spark to plug, I have not touched the cam so happy with timing, I have cleaned the carb bowel out and cleaned the banjo filter and jets but have not started the bike yet, will do tomorrow.thank you for your advice I will open the gap a bit more and see if that helps, will update later. Thanks again
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 am

Update so far this morning rechecked points gap and widened to 14 thou finished cleaning out all carb jets, also checked the ignition plug socket in head lamp because I had to turn the bike in a tight spot with full lock several times but that was all good, tickled the carb give it full choke and away it fired tick over nice a steady gave a gentle rev up and not popping and spitting, going to attempt a ride out for MOT 6 mile away armed with a full tool kit, Ken I think giving the points a little bit more gap as probably helped thanks.

Regards

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Gents

Took bike for a test run, ran fine at cruising speed 45/50 mph but running lumpy when ticking over at would then give a high pitched sound and engine would stop?any suggestions as why?got home removed carb and completely stripped down there was some crud but have seen worse put back on and reset ideal and air screw ticked over much better, took bike another run pulled much better and ideal better too got home and again high pitch sound through silencer and engine cut out started it again,but on close examination I notice that the plug cap fits ok but seems a little lose could this course the engine to suddenly stop? Any help would be much appreciated,and would changing points course the bike to suddenly run rough and lumpy?

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm

My suspicions of the plug cap has been sorted fitted a new NGK cap which fits nice and snug, and the bike runs better than it ever has smoother more responsive than before,so perhaps a coincidence that putting new points and condenser as well as carb made me think it was the new parts but all good for now, these old bike sometimes have you thinking how to solve problems, would we be without these old machines when they challenge your patience,now it is running there is nothing better than riding these and a feeling of achievement,well until next time Very Happy

banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top