Latest topics

First Francis Barnett

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Francis Barnett

Post  Sgtbiro on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi all
i am thinking of buying my first Francis Barnett a 1960 250 cruiser which i am lead to believe has a AMC engine, what i want to know is, are there plenty of spares out there for this engine and are they readily available.

Cheers Kevin.

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

Re: First Francis Barnett

Post  Cruiser79 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Kevin,  the bikes and engines have been knocking around for about sixty years now and Francis Barnett are obviously long gone. I'm far from an expert but can at least share my limited experience with the 175 engine. The amc 175, 200 and 250 are all variations of the same design and share quite a few parts. Second hand engines appear on ebay quite frequently for sensible money and I've bought one or two myself for parts. Gearbox and crank bearings have been over the counter standard sizes in my experience available at the local bearing/seal shop. Alpha Bearings list big ends, little ends and main bearings for all three engines. The gear box seal is available new from Villiers Services, crank seals I haven't seen new and are an oddball size but am sure they're sold somewhere as there still seems to be a healthy number of them on the road. Ignition points are standard Wipac. Pistons are thin on the ground but from what I've read the 250 is the more common variety to be found, Bantam John is rumoured to have a stock (open to correction). If you're looking for spares availability straight off the shelf like is available for a Bantam, M20 or Goldstar then a FB is probably not for you. If you don't mind ringing around or waiting for a part to come up like with most classics then its a great bike to take on

Last edited by Cruiser79 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Thanks Cruiser79

Post  Sgtbiro on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Sgtbiro wrote:Hi all
i am thinking of buying my first Francis Barnett a 1960 250 cruiser which i am lead to believe has a AMC engine, what i want to know is, are there plenty of spares out there for this engine and are they readily available.

Cheers Kevin.      
Thanks cruiser79 you have been a great help so much so i have just bought the bike i was looking at and now look forward to spending many a happy hour restoring this old lady back to her former glory.

Sgtbiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser79 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Sgtbiro wrote:
Sgtbiro wrote:Hi all

Cheers Kevin.      
Thanks cruiser79 you have been a great help so much so i have just bought the bike i was looking at and now look forward to spending many a happy hour restoring this old lady back to her former glory.

Always great to hear another one will see the roads again. Best of luck with it and keep us posted with progress and pics!

Rob
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top