» Plover with Engine Number 12T 5090
Yesterday at 7:26 am by piston 197

splitting the Villiers 9e Crankcases

View previous topic View next topic Go down

splitting the Villiers 9e Crankcases

Post  talha on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Guys

How to split the crankcase of Villiers 9e engine. i have remove all bolts
the crankcase can slighted/moved , i tried to tap the crankshaft with rubber hammer with no luck. do i need to remove seals ?
what is best manual for villiers engine repairs ?

Sorry i am just learning these skills Thanks

Regards

talha

Back to top Go down

Tool

Post  ChrisTurner on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 am

According to the official manual, you can remove the flywheel side crankcase by pulling it free leaving the crankshaft in the drive side crankcase. You need a special extractor to remove the crankshaft from the drive side crankcase. The Villiers manual is available to purchase through the club I believe but if not, I am sure someone will let you have a copy.

Last edited by ChrisTurner on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Cases

Post  Bigjim on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm

The manual suggests that you warm up the cases. I used a heat gun, the electric type. then a gentle tap with a soft faced mallet. refitting, do the same. remember that there are 2 studs that need gentle tapping in to centralise the cases. All studs are the same, but the 2 holes are machined for a tight fit.
Always fit new seals, the cost is small, but worth the small effort. Getting the bearing outer races out, requires a heat and a little persuasion.
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

... and don't forget

Post  ChrisTurner on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:19 pm

there is a criclip that holds the flywheel side main bearing in place. if you try to remove the bearing with the circlip still located, you willl damage the cases.
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

more on the E series

Post  Bigjim on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:28 pm

OK, there is the circlip (plural) to contend with. there is also a spacer between the bearings
Here's the Villiers manual picture

Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Re: splitting the Villiers 9e Crankcases

Post  talha on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks BigJim and ChrisTurner for your advise. and pictures much appreciated.

My friend have more tools then i have. i will take it to his workshop . i will keep you posted

Regards

talha

Back to top Go down

cleaning

Post  Bigjim on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:48 pm

If you can, get the cases vapour blasted or it's also called aqua blasting. Better still see if you can get soda cleaning. baking soda is blasted at the cases. It cleans then and doesn't leave any gritty bits. the soda is washed away with water. The aqua cleaning helps to "peen" the alloy castings and makes them look factory fresh, yet it stops oil etc from soaking into the alloy.The oil seals you have will be hard and useless. just note which way they went and dig them out. new ones come from Villiers services (search for them) Any of the special reduced hex nuts that are damaged can also be bought new. Get the crank checked and if need be, Villiers will rebuild the crank for you. If the piston & bore are within limits, have it de-glazed. This scuffs the bore a tiny amount, helping any new rings to bed in for a better seal.
A new set of gaskets is must, as is a new primary chain. There is NO chain adjuster, though if it's nearly OK a second gearbox gasket helps to take the slack a bit. The oil seals in the primary chain cse 7 gearbox will also need doing. Look at the 2 broached spacers in the gearbox. they look like fat washers with a set of internal slots. They do wear and will allow too much end play, if worn. To assemble the gears (again check for tooth wear) assemble them into the outer cover, hold them in the vice and lower the main cover onto them. DO not forget the gasket. There are timing marks on the cam barrel, check for them or you will not get all 4 gears.
Lastly, you must fit the circlip to PULL the kick start pinion out or you won't be able to turn the gears round. If you can, get a set of taps(the cheaper carbon steel are fine) then clean out all the threads. you will need some BSF, " & 5/16" & ⅜" there are some other threads on the front covers, ignition back plate to crankcases and points covers. More later when I clarify these
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Re: splitting the Villiers 9e Crankcases

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top