» Leaky Seagull
Yesterday at 9:06 am by keith.hodgenia

» Falcon 87 wiring
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm by kerabo

» Cruiser 80 centre stand parts wanted
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm by Sgtbiro

» falcon final drive sprocket
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm by piston 197

» Cruiser 39 exhaust repairs in Australia, carby, etc etc.
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am by Maurice Chivers

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am by FB vincent

» Belgian Powerbike 98cc
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:54 am by FB vincent

» NEW CLUB MEMBERS
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 pm by 1953Man

1H ignition (again)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1H ignition (again)

Post  Geoff Hooper on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Calling all ignition wizards!
I have looked at some old threads about 1H ignition, but still 'don't get it'!
I have a weak/ intermittent spark.
There seems to be ways of rewiring to improve the spark, here are my questions:
On the stator there are two lighting and two ignition coils. Two are big, two are small, which is which? (Original wires to crankcase disconnected).
At present I am using an original 'Bakelite' type ignition coil.
I also have a standard Lucas coil, but it is not ac (which I understand is important).
Is there a way of wiring all coils to charge the battery, and running high tension ignition coil off that?
As I say I feel like a real numpty, and would appreciate any help!
Thanks from FBOC new boy,
Geoff

Geoff Hooper

Back to top Go down

1H HT coil

Post  Bigjim on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Have you checked the HT coil for continuity? áPLUS the 1H coils áare NOT the same as the 2,3 &4T versions. The larger 2H used the same by as the 2T, but it only had 3 coils in its lighting/ ignition set up.

Last edited by Bigjim on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

1H HT coil

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for that Jim, really useful information, so the 1H coil is between 3'000 and 4,000 ohms, most my spare coils are unmarked. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: 1H ignition (again)

Post  Bigjim on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:45 am

Just reread your original post. The 1H is a single, thus it won't have 2 ignition coils. My 1H book shows 4 coils, with the left, is 9'o clock coil being the low tension coil. Red lead to the large diameter plug, on the case. Is the key switch working properly? áIt's a bit crude, in that when off, it grounds the coil so it can't spark. I'll scan the page later today and post it.
Looking a bit harder at the drawing, there are 2 ignition coils in parallel, 9 & 3 o' clock. Labeled as 8x18. áWhilst the lights are 6x18. Check both coils, if one has shorted, it will pull the other out as well.
here's the electrical diagram for the 1H.
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Villiers service bulletin no 16

Post  Bigjim on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 pm

VILLIERS SERVICE, BULLETIN NO. M/c 16.
MODEL AFFECTED: Mk 1H. Engine Gear Unit.
IGNITION CIRCUIT
Because of certain difficulties which appear to have been encountered in the servicing and maintenance of the Mk 1H Magneto, on account of its slightly unconventional circuit, and because of the omission of certain information, regarding possible causes of trouble, from the "Operating Instructions & Spare Parts Lists", dated April 1954, it has been decided to issue a Service Bulletin on this subject.
OPERATION
Referring to the Wiring Diagram on page 37 of the "Operating Instructions & Spare Parts List", it will be seen that the flywheel generator is provided with two pairs of coils. The pairs are not interchangeable, being specially designed for their respective functions. The primary winding of the external Ignition coil is energised by the 8 x 18" pair, via the large diameter socket on the Gearbox casing, the circuit being completed through the contact breaker to earth. It will be seen, therefore, that although the ignition coil is remote the arrangement gives normal magneto operation and should not be confused with batteryŚ coil ignition.
The rectifier comprises two cells, commonly connected on their positive sides to a conventional charging circuit. One cell is connected to the generator side of the Primary winding, so that when the primary voltage exceeds that of the battery a rectified current is taken from the primary energizing coils which tends to stabilize the voltage across the primary, and provides the "DayŚlight" charge. This "voltage control" gives an Ignition performance which is similar to that obtained with Battery coil ignition, i.e. a superior low speed sparking performance but without the latter's degree of dependence on the battery.
The system is dependent upon the satisfactory working of the charging circuit, as without "control", the primary voltage will rise to an excessive value at the higher engine speeds, which may result in burned contact breaker points and a form of preŚignition which will be evidenced by loss of engine power. Starting, however, would not be affected, unless a short circuit occurred in the charging circuit, or in the lighting circuit, if in use.
The "DayŚlight" charge is augmented when the Lighting switch is in the "H" or "Direct" position, as the other pair of coils on the generator is then connected to the second cell of the rectifier.
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Re: 1H ignition (again)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top