Latest topics
» cruiser 80 chain guard
Today at 7:09 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» 2FB dismantled to dispose of in a hurry.
Today at 1:20 pm by SwinTheBike

» Can anyone shed light on this 8E cylinder head?
Today at 12:53 pm by rob spence

» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

Fixed cone for front hub of Kestrel 66

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fixed cone for front hub of Kestrel 66

Post  bessybarnett on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi, can anyone help please.

I am after a fixed cone for the front hub spindle for a Kestrel 66. Please see attached photo for measurement details. You can see the one I want to replace has a ding in it and has chewed up the bearings. JH kindly brought a box of cones etc to an AGM a few years ago and I managed to find some bits I needed. This fixed cone is all I need now. I have tried Vale Onslow with the part numbers, but he is out of stock.

I hope someone can help please.

Pete

bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Fixed cone for Kestrel 66

Post  bessybarnett on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi John, I was wondering if you had seen my latest posting, and whether you may have any more quantities of old stocks of cones, that I can look through at the Stafford Show in April? I guess you will be there this year?

Here's hoping, thanks for your help.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Fixed cone for Kestrel 66

Post  seipgam on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:03 am

I have recently replaced one of my kestrel 66 front bearing cups but couldn't find a cone.
I managed to re-face the cone by placing the axle with the cone fitted in an electric drill mounted in a vice and using it a bit like a lathe. A piece of fine wet n dry paper over a screwdriver shaft and honing it as the axle/cone spins. Mine was pretty pitted but came up a treat.

Yours doesn't look all that bad where the bearings actually run (that chip out of the narrow part aside).

Anyway, it worked for me so could be worth a try.

Cheers, Geoff.
seipgam

Back to top Go down

Bearing cones

Post  piston 197 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:11 am

Sorry I have no more cones other than the ones you looked through before, I am not having a stall at Stafford this year, Classic Bike Shows ( Mortons) now want £198 for a strip of grass 15Ft wide ! and are now prepared to take any stall holders selling market goods, palnts and non motorcycling related items just to fill space.
I can do about 8 jumbles cost wise with regard to Stafford prices, and my experience is you do not take 8 times more money at Stafford and in the past I have had a Manx Norton 5 speed gearbox, a chronometric speedo, complete instrument panel †from a BSA sloper ( removed from a bike overnight) stolen while at Stafford
Couple that to a 180 mile round trip 3 times and it looks like I would just be giving parts away to pay them ?
I will be at Stafford on the Friday and Sunday as I am taking a bike up for the FBOC club stand, but will have no stall or parts with me

John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

bearing cones

Post  top brass on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 am

Pete have a look on Draganfly website bsa c11 front hub they are fitted with cups &cones they could be made to fit if the size is the same just a thought.

Tony.
top brass

Back to top Go down

Re: Fixed cone for front hub of Kestrel 66

Post  bessybarnett on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Geoff, John and Tony,
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Sadly I think the ding in the cone maybe too big to remove, but a good idea for other less damaged cones. If I have no alternative I will try and re-face it. I know a guy with a lathe. Thanks Geoff.

I have just looked at Draganflys website and will email them the above photo with dimensions and see what they have got or if they have any other suggestions. I will let you know Tony.

Sorry you won't be selling at Stafford this year, John. I can understand how you feel. There were a lot of non biker stalls at last year's show, not good for its future!

Thanks again

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Sadly Onslows weren't able to help me. Draganflys have replied and they have a tapered roller bearing for £13 to replace the fixed cone I am after. Not had much experience with roller bearings so I will continue the hunt for an exact replacement. I will comb the stands at the Stafford Show in April until I am knackered!!!

The fun of the hunt!!

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

cones

Post  Bigjim on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm

I have, what I think are the correct cones
13/16" OD
5/8" long
13/32 long on the bit that's marked13/32.
one is the one with flats and the other isn't.
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry I automatically replied to the other posting. I would like them both if they are available. Thanks for looking for me.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top