Latest topics
» cruiser 80 chain guard
Today at 7:09 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» 2FB dismantled to dispose of in a hurry.
Today at 1:20 pm by SwinTheBike

» Can anyone shed light on this 8E cylinder head?
Today at 12:53 pm by rob spence

» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

kestrel 69 forks rebuild

View previous topic View next topic Go down

kestrel 69 forks rebuild

Post  johnh on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 am

My Kestrel 69 fork sliders have an unhealthy degree of sideways movement, this suggests to me that the bearing bushes are quite worn and should be replaced.

Is there a process for me to follow to remove the existing bushes? are replacements available? if not, what are they made of? ie can I have them built by a local machinist. any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

according to my Kestrel spare parts book, there should be an oil seal unit fitted to the bottom of each of the top fork tubes. on my bike these are missing, so I'm wondering if they are still available and if so, where from"

The spare parts and accessories book is very handy and also quite funny. Apparently there was a twin seat available for the Kestrel as an optional extra. it is described as "A luxury which adds still further to the unbelievable comfort of this machine" ! thanks johnH

johnh

Back to top Go down

Fork bushes

Post  piston 197 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

The fork bushes are tufnol, they need to be removed and replaced, to remove them , take out the oil nipples from the side of the forks which retain them, place a bar in the top of the fork leg which is smaller than the i.d. of the tube, but bigger than the diameter of the slider, preferably as close to the i.d. of the outer tube, Knock both bushes out from the top of each leg

Bantam John ( Sheffield classic motorcycles) ( 01246 290021)did have some new ones, but requires a sample as there are 3 different types. The bushes come undersize and have to be reamed to size once fitted into the tubes.
Oil seals were made by Payen and are difficult to source now, but a steel cap can be made up to contain a modern rubber seal
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Kestrel 69 Fork Rebuild

Post  PeterW on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Not sure if they are the same as the Kestrel 69 but when I re-did the fork seals on my Kestrel 66 I burnt the rubber out of the original steel outer rings and fitted new rubber seals obtained from Oil Seal UK. (See contact info below).

This was about 18 months ago so hopefully they are still in business - As I remember, Jonathan Welch was a very helpful guy

The rubber seal details for my 66 were: Payen NA126 (0.875” x 1.267” x 0.218”)

Jonathan Welch
Oil Seal UK
7 Spinney Way
Needingworth
St Ives
Cambs PE27 4SR

Tel (01480) 462611
Fax (01480) 498723
email: sales@oilsealuk.co.uk

Cheers,

PeterW
PeterW

Back to top Go down

Fork bushes

Post  kerabo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 am

While at the Copdock show a few years ago a club member came to the stand and gave me a few bushes that were the exact size for the forks on my Falcon 87. These were brass and he said he was an agricultural mechanic and came across these at work.
Sorry I don't know his name but it shows stuff is out there if you look

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

kestrel 69 fork rebuild

Post  johnh on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 am

Thank you all.
I've removed and  stripped the forks down, all looks to be in good condition except the worn Tufnol bearing bushes .  Next I will need to remove the caps at the top of the forks before I can tap out the bushes.   Are these caps friction fitted or threaded in?  If friction fitted, can they simply be tapped off.

Also:  re the oil seal caps,  They are missing, and  It looks like I'll have to get something made up locally. I'm assuming these are also a friction fit.?  

Thanks    John H

johnh

Back to top Go down

Re: kestrel 69 forks rebuild

Post  PeterW on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

johnh wrote:Thank you all.
I've removed and  stripped the forks down, all looks to be in good condition except the worn Tufnol bearing bushes .  Next I will need to remove the caps at the top of the forks before I can tap out the bushes.   Are these caps friction fitted or threaded in?  If friction fitted, can they simply be tapped off.

Also:  re the oil seal caps,  They are missing, and  It looks like I'll have to get something made up locally. I'm assuming these are also a friction fit.?  

Thanks    John H

John.

The caps on the top of my Kestrel 66 forks were brazed on but the oil seal cups are a friction fit.

Cheers,

PeterW
PeterW

Back to top Go down

Re: kestrel 69 forks rebuild

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top