» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Yesterday at 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am by john87

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

» Fitting Japanase trail bike forks
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm by kerabo

» Falcon 55 Vibration
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am by Jack Clegg

Falcon forks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon forks

Post  pecon4 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I have started to strip the forks for painting as they were hand painted a horrible maroon and look pretty awful at the moment. I have gotten as far as dropping the top cover sleeve as far as the bottom of the legs but am trying to figure out the procedure for removing the sliders. In the absence of a workshop manual (Is there one available anywhere?) I am working from a parts book which is helpful but not ideal. Am I correct in assuming that the H assembly consists of the two yokes and the top legs in one piece?. I can see from the drawings that a damper post retaining screw is mentioned is it a matter of removing this to allow the sliders to drop or is there something else to be done first. Is the oil seal tapped in or is it a screw fit and are replacements available anywhere.

I really only need to strip the forks in order to remove the sleeves to allow access to them and the bottom forks for painting as there was fairly clean oil in the forks and no signs of leaks.

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

fork strip

Post  piston 197 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes the "h2 section is in one piece, you can remove the screws in the top yoke and pull off the sliders with springs attached, or remove the damper post retaining screws in the brake anchor stop and leave the springs in the top section,
The seals are just tapped onto the sliders, there are concentric rings ( which look like threads) to secure them, best to tap them off the sliders with a drift of wood or alloy as the are difficult to get over the bushes
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon forks

Post  pecon4 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks John

Once I tapped the seals off, and the resistance was considerable, the sliders dropped down. I think that I will reuse the seals as it looks as though I might have to remove the bushes to fit new ones?.

Thanks again,

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

seals

Post  piston 197 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm

You will find your seals have gone hard, that is why you could not get them over the bushes, new seals are available from AMC classic spares ( ask for G2 matchless fork seals) and Villiers services, The new ones will be a lot more flexible and worth changing while you have the forks apart, You may have to cut the old ones off !

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Manuals

Post  kerabo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:16 pm

You should get most manuals from the club Librarian

His name is in the front of the club directory

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Seals and bushes

Post  kerabo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm

The seals are quiet tight to get over the bushes. I rolled up the spring tensioner from the seals and refuted once the bushes are the through.

The bushes are oil impregnated and a bugger to solder back on. It was suggested Locktite and I think that could work well. Unless you had brass bushes made and then you could solder them .
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon4 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up John. I intend placing an order with Villiers for the engine parts I need so I will see if they have the seals. What do Villiers list them as?.

Ken, I had a closer look at the seals and I see what you mean about the spring tensioner, might be worth trying as I don't fancy removing the bushes which look to be in reasonable condition.

pecon4

Back to top Go down

seals

Post  piston 197 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 am

Just ask for FB Falcon fork seals Villiers Services know what you will require
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Seals and bushes

Post  kerabo on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 am

The seals are quiet tight to get over the bushes. I rolled up the spring tensioner from the seals and refuted once the bushes are the through.

The bushes are oil impregnated and a bugger to solder back on. It was suggested Locktite and I think that could work well. Unless you had brass bushes made and then you could solder them .
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top