» cheapest bike on ebay..
Yesterday at 9:41 am by top brass

» Plover with Engine Number 12T 5090
Yesterday at 7:26 am by piston 197

Amc 197 gear selector indicator shaft

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amc 197 gear selector indicator shaft

Post  scot on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 am

Hello I am putting together a amc engine for an old Gent who wants to give it to his grandson .There is a problem with the gear indicator shaft which has broken across the grove for the o ring seal does any body know if there available to buy or does any one have the dimensions so I can make one. Also is the shaft a interference fit or does it screw in to the main selector shaft

Thanks Scot

scot

Back to top Go down

AMC Shaft

Post  kerabo on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 pm

That shaft is very brittle Scott. All OK in place but a small tap sideways it snaps like a carrot.  Your best bet it so watch eBay for a cover with a shaft still in place.
It will run ok without so long as you block the hole.
The shaft is a snug but free fit with two O rings to stop oil passing . It's cast so you will be hard pushed to mend it.

PM me your email I will send you something

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Amc 197 gear selector indicator shaft

Post  Cruiser79 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi Scot,
      If Ken or someone else can't get you sorted I would think I have the part you need. Have sent you a PM for your email address so that I can send you manuals and an exploded parts diagram.

Rob
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

gear selector shaft.

Post  mike Sayer on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi all, I think i`m right in saying the the ratchet shaft spindle (item 113)is a separate part to the footchange ratchet shaft (item 106), well that follows dunnit as they are given as two separate parts with their own part number! It appears that the spindle is an interference fit into the shaft to a certain depth. If the spindle breaks, it is possible to withdraw the broken piece left in the ratchet shaft (by dubious means mentioned later) and press into place a newly manufactured spindle made from, say, 0.375"dia. mild or stainless steel, ensuring that the spindle protrudes the correct amount from the end of the ratchet shaft (of course the dimension is ascertained before the broken piece is removed from the ratchet shaft. The trick is in getting, firstly, the broken piece out and ,secondly, the new spindle in. One method of getting the piece out I know for a fact has been used and this was to carefully heat the end of the ratchet shaft until the broken piece can be extracted (hence my reference to it being by dubious means) Another method is to investigate if it is possible to drill out the broken piece rather than have to heat the shaft. I have a broken spindle in a ratchet shaft and will soon, I hope, be able to try this. To put the new spindle in would involve making sure it is concentric with the shaft, this suggests the use of a lathe and some sort of a fitting jig. I am working on the design of a jig for use on my lathe and hope to report further in due course.
Finally I would invite constructive criticism and comment on what I have had to say.
Mike Sayer.

mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Gear shaft

Post  kerabo on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Well done Mike
I wasn't aware that part came out although I never looked.

I would say the easy way to get that out is to drill it and tap a thread and draw it out. Guess you could drill it all out but it would be hard not to Damage anything

You could make it a press fit or even Locktite back in.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankG on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi, you could try freezing the new spindle and warning the shaft to refit it.

Frank

FrankG

Back to top Go down

gear selector shaft.

Post  mike Sayer on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Ken, thanks for your advice, believe it or not, I had already tried your drill/tap/fit stud & draw out method but no-go. The friend of mine who let me have the broken spindle pieces which he had had extracted from his ratchet shaft, told me there was quite a lot of heat required to be applied on the last inch of the threaded end of the shaft before the broken part of the spindle could be shifted & removed. It is obvious that there is a good interference fit between the spindle & shaft.
What I may consider, providing the spindle material is machinable, is to cut off the broken spindle flush with the threaded end on the shaft, drill & tap the piece of spindle left in the shaft, turn up a new piece of spindle (oversize on the diameter) screw & Loctite it in, then mount the shaft in the lathe & turn the spindle down to the correct O/D, thus ensuring concentricity.
What d`yer reckon?
Mike.

mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Gear change

Post  kerabo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I am supprised that never pulled out. A good coarse thread as large as possible would have a lot of force.
If your careful you could drill it out. A size down from the hole and the cast rod should crumble as you drill it and be left with a straight hole

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

gear selector shaft.

Post  mike Sayer on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Frank, thanks, a good point, I think there are a few ways a new spindle could be fitted to the shaft but the crucial bit is to maintain the concentricity of the shaft & the piece of spindle sticking out of the end.
Have a look at my reply to Kerabo`s comments on the subject. Thanks for your interest.
Mike.

mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

gear selector shaft.

Post  mike Sayer on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi all, further to my post on this subject, I can report that I have successfully replaced the broken piece with a newly machined part.
My Embarassed method, to cut a long story short, was to drill out the broken piece ( more difficult than I first thought it would be, because this broken piece had obviously been Case Hardened!.) I then turned down one end of a 3 1/2" length of 7/16" dia. mild steel, the first inch of that end to a diameter to give a + 0.002" diameter compared to the drilled out hole in the selector shaft. With the shaft & new piece mounted in line in the lathe, I used the tailstock wheel to carefully press the new piece just short of 1" into the shaft.
I was pleased to find that upon checking the concentricity, there was less than 5 thou` difference.
Thereafter, it was relatively simple to turn the protruding piece down to 0.375" trim it to length, drill & tap the end 1/2" deep, to take a 0 BA screw, cut two grooves for the "o" rings.
Comments & constructive criticism please, & if anyone wants pictures, I took some.
Regards to all, Mike.

mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Gearbox

Post  kerabo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Well done
Where there is the will there is a way .

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top