» Slipping AMC 17T clutch
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 pm by Cruiser79

» what type of oil?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 pm by alan67

Recommended lubricant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recommended lubricant

Post  bessybarnett on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi, can anyone advise me about grease/ lubricant for the cup and cone wheel bearings on a Kestrel 66. I am putting the bearings back in the hubs and was wondering what is the best grease that I should use? According to the manual, it was once 'Castrolease Heavy' for the wheel hubs. What is the modern day equivalent?

Just found in the garage some Castrol LM Grease (High melting point) for wheel bearings. I guess this is the stuff? Please confirm.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

Last edited by bessybarnett on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional info)
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Re: Recommended lubricant

Post  Cruiser79 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:51 am

I had the same problem recently when recommissioning a vintage car, all of the recommended lubricants in the manual had been discontinued. Castrol LM if you have it should be spot on (open to correction) I only have half a tub of LM left and couldn't find more in any of the motor factors. I emailed castrol who told me that it has been discontinued. Will definitely be stocking up if I find any. For wheel bearings I was recommended to use any of the modern black wheel bearing greases. Available in metal tubs in any motor factor for about 10
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:57 am

Cruiser79, thanks for that. I have two plastic tins of Castrol LM, one half full and the other with about an inch at the bottom. The other Castrol lubricant I have is a full tin of Graphite grease, I assume for chains. They have been with me for over 40 years, so must be the originals from when I had my first Kestrel 66 Fanny B! (passed my test on it!). Time plays tricks with your memories!

Thanks again

Pete

bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Fun on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Castrol lm all the way, I use on a couple of vintage cars great stuff.... need to find some more !!!

Fun

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for that. I will be working on the Kestrel tomorrow, so will be using the Castrol LM on the hubs. I notice there are one or two old tins, half full, to be had on eBay. Check it out.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top