Latest topics
» Villiers 2E
Today at 7:16 pm by ScottT

» FBOC AGM 12th August
Today at 4:13 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Today at 9:56 am by teebee67

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Today at 8:57 am by john87

» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

Need help sourcing parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help sourcing parts

Post  pecon4 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Hello All,

I have just bought a 1957 FB Falcon 74 197cc which has been laid up since the 1980's and I'm told not started since. The engine turns over very easily by hand. (Is this lack of compression normal?). My intention is to do a full restoration and a quick look around shows that all rubbers, speedo seal, footrests etc. tail light unit and chrome parts such as the headlight rim and exhaust will need to be replaced as will the wiring harness and many other parts. Looking on the internet there seems to be a complete lack of parts available. When I did a restoration on a C15 recently I was spoiled for choice. Can anyone help with the names of any suppliers, preferably in the UK as I am in Ireland who might be able to help?.

I have never had a two stroke before and have no idea how they actually work. How does the ignition system function, I was puzzled to find that there was no ign. switch. How does the lubrication system work, is all the work done by pre mixing the oil and petrol. Please forgive these very basic questions but as having had four stroke machines all my life this is new to me.

I am having some work done on my computer today so it may be a day or so before I can acknowledge any replies.

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help sourcing parts

Post  Andy Knightley on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Peter try Sheffield British motorcycles John was a great help to me but only seems to do business over the phone.
Andy

Andy Knightley

Back to top Go down

Help with your bits

Post  colk2004 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:35 pm

http://villiersservices.co.uk/ is always worth checking for parts needed.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon4 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Andy: thanks for the contact details I'll give him a call and see if there is anything he might have on my ever growing list.

Colin: I have sent on an email so hopefully I will hear back soon.

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon4 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Am I correct in thinking that my engine should be a Mk8E in the Falcon 74 197cc?. I have tried to see if it will start but there is no feed back to the rectifier through the green wire from the headlight switch. I was a little puzzled by the wiring as there is a brown wire from the battery to one side of the ammeter with a link from the other side to the light switch. I would have expected a feed back to the rectifier through the green wire but instead this is, as I mentioned connected to the light switch. I'll have to do a search for a wiring diagram.

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

Falcon 74 parts

Post  FB vincent on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I am sure others will help, but here are couple of sources for the items you list:

Rear Lamp Unit: Lucas pattern L529 Ebay or Paul Goff
Exhaust system: Listed by Armours, Bournemouth

The ignition is by flywheel magneto and AC coil, which is not dependant on the battery so there is no need for an ignition switch.

You need to get hold of an instruction manual for the FB74, this will explain the electrical and petroil lubrication systems.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Wiring Falcon 74

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Peter, I've sent a PM with a Falcon 74 wiring diagram. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Post  pecon4 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Vincent: Many thanks for that. I came across the lamp on eBay, seems to be the same as some Bantams?. I'm heading for the New Forest in a couple of months so a stop at Armours is on the cards. When I kick over the engine there is no spark at the points even with the battery connected. Perhaps I have more problems than I thought?. I tried to trace the wiring with some difficulty as the colours have changed and all the connections have disintegrated. I did note from Mike's wiring loom that there should be a purple wire returning to the rectifier (Westlite 2L285) which there is not. There is a brown to one side and a purple to the light switch and that's it.

Mike: The diagram was a great help. The only difference I can see is that my rectifier has two wires from the centre rubber block while the diagram only shows one. I found a similar one which shows two like mine but they seem to be joined together and going as one back to the ammeter (purple wire) however the drawing is poor an I may have misread it.

Peter

pecon4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top