Latest topics
» cruiser 80 chain guard
Today at 7:09 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» 2FB dismantled to dispose of in a hurry.
Today at 1:20 pm by SwinTheBike

» Can anyone shed light on this 8E cylinder head?
Today at 12:53 pm by rob spence

» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

Has anyone got a photo of a naked Falcon 87?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  colk2004 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm after a photo without the tinware on. My bike came with virtually nothing electrical on it so I've no idea where everything should go as standard - horn, coil, rectifier, etc. And what on earth is the stud hanging down from the frame for? Google has nothing but complete bikes!

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Stud

Post  kerabo on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Where is this Stud Colin
The correct horn tucks into the headlamp from memory
Can't remember where the rectifier goes it was 6 years ago

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

FB 87 electrical items

Post  FB vincent on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Colin,

I will send you separately photos of the electrical items you mention. The mounting under the top frame member will be for the Wipac rectifier.

In the meantime this link will show you the original rectifier, and the modern replacement as fitted to my Falcon; it also shows the correct position for the original Wipac coil. http://fboc.niceboards.org/t3012-rectifier-position?highlight=rectifier

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  colk2004 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks Guys. Ken the stud is the one that hangs down vertically above where the air filter would be if I'd got that far yet. The confusion has been the horn bracket(?) I have is a scrappy bit of metal that bolted under the bottom yoke and looks home made. The original toolbox from the bike which was sadly rotted where the battery sat, had a hole and a rectifier shaped shadow on the front face facing the engine and 2 holes roughly coil mounting spacing apart....but the replacement has a different set of holes that don't appear to be much use. I want to get it right as I'll be having an attempt at making my own wiring harness for the first time using a solid state regulator/rectifier hidden under the seat to get away without having the resistor wire, then I'll use an original rectifier in the right place (where ever that is) and some dummy wiring for appearance.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Falcon 87

Post  kerabo on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 pm

I do know the top of the horn sits in a hole under the headlamp but can't remember how it mounts . If someone don't come with an answer soon I will get to my bike and have a look. Before you make any brackets for your rectifier you should consider fitting a modern rectifier/Regulator. Also the battery, you are better with a modern one. Those strange shaped one will mount in any direction. They are good as they will keep charged unused for months

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Horn mounting

Post  piston 197 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 pm

The horn mounts to the top surface of the bottom yoke and the horn protrudes into the headlight shell, there is a bracket screwed to the centre of the bottom yoke to mount the horn, and it has a forward facing protrusion with a hole in it to guide the speedo cable through.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Falcon 87 electrical gubbins.

Post  colk2004 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm

I've got the big white square rectifier in a tin of bits so I'll tart it up and mount it to the front of the tool box. Coil I'll put on the other side of the front of the tool box - my original toolbox looks a lot like Banjo Boys in the link. Stud I'll leave empty. I'm using one of Rex Caunts nice 6v positive earth combined regulator rectifier units which i'll tuck out of sight but in air flow. Horn mounting is still a bit confusing. The one fitted was a piece of 1" strip with 3x 90' bends - so it goes forward/up/forward/up. I can't see an image of the 'horn extension piece' in any of my manuals to work out what it does. Just sorting the back brake rod and centre stand rod today, so this is tomorrows job.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Falcon

Post  kerabo on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:17 pm

The bracket you found sounds correct. As John said mounts from stud at forks to horn. Only the top is in the headlamp.
Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Falcon 87 - Horn

Post  colk2004 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Well thats where it all ended up, so far. Thanks for everyones help and words. Sandy you are a star!

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone got a photo of a naked Falcon 87?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top