Latest topics
» Francis Barnett Scrambler 94
Today at 9:02 am by peter@dunfordconstruction

» Engine & Frame number Identity Help Please.
Yesterday at 6:05 pm by piston 197

» Rear brake linkage
Yesterday at 11:21 am by piston 197

» Light Cruiser parts
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm by barnetts22

» Falcon 87 - Nearly the final shopping list.
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm by colk2004

» Villiers chain guards
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:15 pm by Challenger

» New Smiths 80mph speedos
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm by piston 197

» Lucas MA6 coil (6 volt)
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm by John Wakefield

» Villiers coils...
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:36 pm by piston 197

FB Fulmar Kill Switch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FB Fulmar Kill Switch

Post  Brentis1 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:17 am

Hi Gents,

Can anyone advise if a 1962 FB Fulmar should be fitted with a kill switch. My one did not have one on arrival so I block the carb off for stopping the engine or purposely stall using first gear - neither desireable if an emergency stop is required. I ordered a FB Fulmar BMS manual and the wiring diagram does not show one. I have also shorted all three of the low voltage wires coming from the alternator/magneto to the chassis and the engine continues to run.

It just seems strange a bike would not be fitted with an electrical stop. Any advice or suggestions would be great - even if some one has retro fitted such a device connection detail would be really helpful.

Cheers

Brent

Brentis1

Back to top Go down

Kill Switch

Post  FB vincent on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 am

It is normal on 2 stroke engines to set the carburettor so that the throttle shuts completely when the handlebar twistgrip is backed off.

This discussion has taken place many times on this forum. Villiers carburettors (normally) have no throttle stop at all; the Amal carb fitted to your engine does have a throttle stop, but the design was used on both 4 and 2 stroke engines so included this feature.

2 stroke engines will normally tend to 4 stroke on the overrun unless the throttle is completely shut, hence the lack of a throttle stop.

The above may seem odd to those used to modern bikes, but we are talking about 60 years ago when the world was different! Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top