» JAMES seat attachment
Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 am by blue88s

» Spalding bike show
Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 am by kerabo

52 Merlin rear wheel assembly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

52 Merlin rear wheel assembly

Post  roughmoor3@gmail.com on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Hello folks? Does anyone have any drawings/ descriptions of the correct order of assembly on the rear wheel into the swing arm?
I'm struggling with this and impatiently waiting for an ordered manual.
I'm reassembling mine after the previous owner clearly got the spacers etc mixed up, as the wheel was way out of square when I took it off.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Rob.

roughmoor3@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Merlin 52

Post  piston 197 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:39 pm

The Merlin 52 is a rigid frame, hope you have ordered a manual/parts book for a Merlin 57 if your bike has a swing arm ? are you confusing the model number with the year ?
e.g. maybe you have a 1952 Merlin 57 .The back wheels are very different in the model 52 Rigid and the swing arm model 57, for starters the brake plate is on opposite sides !

JH

piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: 52 Merlin rear wheel assembly

Post  roughmoor3@gmail.com on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi JH
Thanks for the info.
I have indeed ordered the wrong manual as mine is clearly a 1952 model 57, with a swing arm.
I understand the brake plate should be on the near side, as there's a plate welded to the swing arm for the retainer. Also, the cable guide is on the N/S.
I just can't work out how to get the rear wheel centred in the swing arm and still have the front and rear sprockets lined up.
Hope this makes sense to someone......... it doesn't to me.

Rob.

roughmoor3@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

rear wheel

Post  piston 197 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Rob, I have a 1952 parts book in my hand as we speak, but it does not show a detailed picture of the rear hub !, but JH Goddards book does, send me a pm with your Email address and I will send you the pictures
JH

piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  roughmoor3@gmail.com on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi
Thanks for the pictures. They helped tremendously with getting the correct order on the hub. However........ with everything in place, and the wheel perfectly centred in the swing arm............the rear sprocket is approximately 3/4 of an inch out of line with the engine sprocket ( with the rear sprocket appearing to be very close to the shock tubing, in fact it's almost touching). Also, the brake hub retaining arm won't line up with its fixing point.
Is it possible that I have the wrong rear wheel?

Rob.

roughmoor3@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

possibilities

Post  piston 197 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Without seeing your wheel I cannot say, but it also likely you need to take the wheel spindle out and put it in the other way round ? as one threaded end is longer than the other , it is not the same either way round ? It is also possible your wheel has been spoked up incorrectly ( wrong offset) so the hub is not in the right position with regard to the rim. The hub needs to be in the right place, the spoke length will determine whether the rim is central to the frame or not, you can move the rim position by loosening all of the spokes on one side approx. 1 turn and tightening up the other side by one turn, but the amount your wheel is out of line suggests it might be a wheel rebuild with the correct offset would be more appropriate. Maybe someone on here with a swing arm 1952/54 Merlin or Falcon can put a straight edge across their sprocket and measure the distance to the wheel rim for you to see if this is your problem ??
JH
JH

piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  roughmoor3@gmail.com on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:22 pm

I take your point about the spindle, but having tried that previously all that does is move the wheel so far off centre that it clearly looks odd.
I don't think the wheel has ever been respoked as it has such a depth of original looking paint.
What I will try is putting the spindle back in the other way and seeing if the sprockets line up any better. If they do, then could it be possible that the swingarm is out of true?
I can't see that it would be as everything else on the frame seems good and true, but it's worth a try, I reckon.
I need to bear in mind that when I got the bike, the previous owner had put things back together in an "interesting" fashion: front wheel fitted the wrong way round, rear shocks refitted upside down ( oil filler at the bottom), front fork springs not attached at the bottoms and the wrong carb fitted.
I gues this is the joy of restoring older bikes..

roughmoor3@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top