» Using the website
Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:16 pm by kerabo

» motorcycle identification
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 am by piston 197

» Recommended lubricant
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm by bessybarnett

» No Spark will not start
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 pm by JohnB

» Starting Help- first time knowledge needed !!
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 pm by Fun

Front Fork Gaiters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Front Fork Gaiters

Post  PeterW on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:04 pm

The rubber front fork gaiters (Bantam type), I purchased less than a year ago are already showing significant signs of perishing. In the original spares list they are actually described as “Plastic Gaiters”. Does anyone know where I can obtain plastic (as opposed to rubber) gaiters for my Kestrel 66?

Thanks,

PeterW

PeterW

Back to top Go down

Gaiters

Post  piston 197 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes the original gaiters on both the bantam and Kestrel were a black PVC type material, the replica rubber ones are made of very poor material, and calling them rubber is being kind
I think you will be relying on a set of new old stock originals turning up, as pretty all of the replica rubber stuff made now is poor.
This is why when I have the rubbers made for the FB tank Badges, seat bungs, fuel  cap seals , horn surrounds and k/start rubbers I use a British manufacturer who has been making rubber products for 40 years and uses the correct material, not the cheapest available, needless to say the quality is superb even though the cost is higher and I have had no complaints

JH

piston 197

Back to top Go down

Gaiters

Post  Druid on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:45 am

As JH says there is a lot of poor quality replica "rubber"gaiters on the market. I bough three pairs of gaiters for my Triumph from different suppliers which, as you have found, started to perish and split within 12 months. However, I did eventually find a better quality product that is still split free three years. Interestingly, I found that all the gaiters that failed had a strong vapour smell as if they had not "cured" completely whilst the last superior pair had very little odour. As you might expect insisting on having a sniff at the gators before I would buy did get a few strange looks from the vendors!!
If you fail to find any quality reproduction gaiters you could, as I have done on my Cruiser 68, use the rubber gaiters intended for car steering racks. Some are a universal type that can be cut to suit different diameters of shaft. I had to shorten and glue mine using a good "super" glue. The ones I used are: Quinton Hazel Ref QG1000 but you could also check out the various types produced by Bailcast Ltd in the UK.
Its a pity Jeff Hunter Engineering don't manufacture gaiters because I have found their rubber components very good quality.

Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Alternative Gaiters

Post  Druid on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi PeterW,

For information, Bailcast manufacture neoprene steering rack boots that would fit my Cruiser 68 forks without having to cut and glue. Their reference is Duraboot DBSR100, check out their web site for the boot dimensions.

Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Re: Front Fork Gaiters

Post  PeterW on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 pm

May thanks for the replies and advice guys.

Cheers,

PeterW

PeterW

Back to top Go down

Re: Front Fork Gaiters

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top