» Bristol show 2018
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 pm by piston 197

» Found a supplier with AMC rings
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:48 pm by Cruiser79

engine rebuild

View previous topic View next topic Go down

engine rebuild

Post  bart on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:37 pm

for some time i have been saving spare cash to have my engine rebuilt by a well known villiers expert, the price on the website said 375 +vat for a very comprehensive rebuild, when i rang to ask about turnaround of the engine i also checked on the probable cost, he told me the website info was wrong and misleading, its actually about 1150 + vat,

won`t be taking it there !! Shocked

bart

Back to top Go down

price for a rebuild

Post  piston 197 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:16 pm

I think you will find the 375 plus VAT is labour charge and does not cover parts which will include , new bearings, piston, rebore, ignition coil, lighting coils, points, condenser, big end, small end, clutch plates, carburettor parts etc, etc, and replacement of any worn sprockets, gears etc
The higher cost is with parts and labour.
You are lucky these days if 375 plus vat covers a standard service with oil and filters on a simple car at most garages !
There is not much to rebuilding one of these engines yourself, this will save the labour charge, but you will still need the parts to do the job correctly
There will be somethings you cannot do yourself , rebore,, re-magnetising flywheel, re-winding coils and depending on your skill and equipment possibly replacing big-end bearing
If you do the rebuild to the level the professionals do, you are still likely to spend more than 375 on parts alone !
I do my own re-builds and certainly would not do one for anybody else
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: engine rebuild

Post  Cruiser79 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Crikey there goes the idea I had in my head that I was going to be able to have the 6E lump in my Excelsior rebuilt to as new for a good price! The website is extremely misleading if thats the case. Will still get the parts from them though.
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:56 pm

From what i've seen and heard, the 1100-1200 price is to take a very tired engine possibly a barn find seized motor and turn it into a new engine virtually replacing everything.
You do have the option to ask them not to replace the parts you feel are ok, in theory a good engine would be stripped/cleaned then rebuilt and possibly the only extra cost would be for a gasket set and some oil. The higher the parts bill the worse condition your engine was in, how bad is your engine?

Look at it another way, how many miles is a fully rebuilt engine going to cover before it needs another rebuild? 10,000? 20,000? How long is it going to take you to do that amount of miles?
Most people i speak to cover 1-2,000 miles a year (many much less) in that case your engine should easily be ok for the next 10-20yrs, looking at it that way its 100 a year (or less) for peace of mind with your engine.
But that only works if you are going to keep it long term, spending 1200 on an engine thats going in a bike that you intend selling, when the bike might only be worth 1000-2000 isnt the best idea.

ScottT

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:54 pm

I doubt that any reputable company would strip an engine down and just clean up. If any old bearings fail then the engine owner would soon start shouting about shoddy workmanship.
If you wish to save money then its time to start learning. I enjoy engine building. Its great when you see it running again.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Post  bart on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:51 pm

my main point is the fact that the info /pricing on the website is by their own admission `misleading` and `wrong` i don`t have a problem with doing the work it may or may not need,
i thought it might be nice to have an expert do the job leaving me to get on with something else, i will continue buying any parts from them and have no issue with the company at all,
Smile

bart

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top