» AMC 25T tickover
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm by mattyboy1975

» Alternator wires
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

1957 Falcon 74 exhaust

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1957 Falcon 74 exhaust

Post  Phil Frost on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:58 am

I have just bought a Falcon 74, it's rough but runs very well and seems to be pretty original. I rode it home yesterday, around 10 miles and all seems OK except for the exhaust noise, it's terrible! The pipe and silencer seem pretty new compared to the rest of the bike. Is this normal?

Phil Frost

Back to top Go down

Re: 1957 Falcon 74 exhaust

Post  Andrewwoey on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Mine is exactly the same. I understand the silencers from Villiers services are decent quality but the baffles are not up to standard noise reduction. I don't mind noisy 2 stokes, but even my Falcon is a bit annoying.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

exhaust

Post  piston 197 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:42 pm

original item has a baffle tube welded into the down pipe which extends about 18" up the inside of the silencer, with specific holes to form baffles, the silencer has ring baffles inside welded at particular intervals to interact with the holes in the baffle tube.
There is a clamp around the down pipe in front of the silencer with a cup and seal as well , the silencer slides over the baffle tube, locates in the seal cup and is tightened against this with a nut at the end of the silencer. The exhaust gasses escape through a slit in the side of the tail pipe of the silencer.
Guess the pattern ones are not to original design and are akin to putting a biscuit tin on the end of the down pipe ?

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Frost on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:29 am

The culprit would appear to be the down pipe. I took the exhaust off last night. There are 16 holes of 5/8" diameter in the pipe and the end of the pipe is open, with a bracket holding the treaded rod that exits from the end of the silencer (sorry, big empty can). There are no baffles in the pipe. The silencer is empty with a slot in the tail pipe. the end of the silencer tail pipe has a plate with a hole to accept the threaded rod. I'll make a baffle system for the pipe. Thanks for the description of the original system JH.

Phil Frost

Back to top Go down

exhaust

Post  piston 197 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 am

lookalike rather than a soundalike then ? I am sure the baffle tube is closed off so that the gasses go in and out as they pass the ring baffles ( which you have not got) in the silencer.
Armours do an exact copy of the original FB system, as well as a cheaper lookalike version.
If you contact Des Heckle, the FBOC exhaust expert he will help with what to ask for.
I will p.m. you his phone No
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Frost on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 am

Piston 197, I deleted your PM by mistake. Please re send. Thanks Phil. Someone has done a lot of work making an exhaust system that is completely useless, crazy. I ride my bike a lot and there is no way I could have put up with the noise, never mind the potential damage to the engine.

Phil Frost

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top