» Exhaust for AMC trials
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm by rob spence

» A nice ride out
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am by kerabo

Joint Sealant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joint Sealant

Post  RPILKY on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 am

Could you advise me the best sealant for my chain case on my 1H engine I have tried silicone sealant but it still drips after a run,

Cheers Bob [Preston]

RPILKY

http://RPILKY@AOL.COM

Back to top Go down

Joint sealant

Post  colk2004 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:44 pm

I always use Threebond to seal casings, after making sure they are scrupulously clean and as flat as possible. The 20t engine I recently put together wasn't too bad, but my Bantam engine had some really bad chew marks from previous heavy handed owners and some bad warping.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Re: Joint Sealant

Post  Ted Snook on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 am

If it leaked after using Silicon, your technique was at fault.
Clean both surfaces thoroughly and grease/oil one surface. I usually do the inner case.
Apply silicon evenly to the cover and BOLT UP WET - it's not Hylomar.
You can easily get a leak free joint with a gap between the surfaces of 1/64" to 1/32".
Silicon is proof against most things but not petrol. Use a little on a rag or tissue to clean the outside of the cases while wet.
The only time I have seen leaks develop has been when the surfaces have been allowed to become dry before bolting up. It is after all only Bath seal, which I have used it to seal the top edge of a bath against an uneven wall with over 1cm gap, successfully.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Sealant

Post  kerabo on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Halford sell very good sealants made by Locktite . You even have a choice of colours.
Try flatting uneven cases by rubbing in a large sheet or production paper or the like laid in some glass or very flat wood.
Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 pm

I have always used Three Bond when sealing cases on modern engines. It costs a little more than other sealants but, never had a leak.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Post  RPILKY on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:52 am

Ted Snook wrote:If it leaked after using Silicon, your technique was at fault.
Clean both surfaces thoroughly and grease/oil one surface.  I usually do the inner case.
Apply silicon evenly to the cover and BOLT UP WET - it's not Hylomar.
You can easily get a leak free joint with a gap between the surfaces of 1/64" to 1/32".
Silicon is proof against most things but not petrol.  Use a little on a rag or tissue to clean the outside of the cases while wet.
The only time I have seen leaks develop has been when the surfaces have been allowed to become dry before bolting up.  It is after all only Bath seal, which I have used it to seal the top edge of a bath against an uneven wall with over 1cm gap, successfully.

Good Morning/ iam not sure what you mean when you say grease/oil one surface ?

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

http://RPILKY@AOL.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruiser79 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:32 am

[/quote]
Good Morning/ iam not sure what you mean when you say grease/oil one surface ?

Cheers Bob[/quote]

Hi Bob, when it comes to fitting an outer cover which needs to be removed occasionally for servicing or adjustments some folks like to attach the gasket to the cover with a thin smear of instant gasket, then smear a small amount of grease on the other side of the gasket which faces to the engine. This set up generally gives a good seal but as one side is lightly greased the cover can be removed for servicing with the gasket intact and still attached to the outer cover. Saves having to replace a difficult to make / source gasket when the part needs to be routinely removed
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

sealant

Post  john87 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 am

It also prevents the two parts from being bonded together and sometimes difficult to remove..

Myself, i would just use a decent gasket fitted dry..

I have seen many things that leaked and it was because with all the sealant that had been plastered on, when the joint was tightened it allowed or rather caused, the gasket to be extruded from the joint.....

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Joint sealant

Post  colk2004 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Problem I had with the AMC20t gaskets was that they'd shrunk with age! All the long ones no longer fitted so sealant was the way to go.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Snook on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Ah yes. I don't use gaskets except if the set up requires the gasket to act as a shim.
I use a cylinder base gasket and a cylinder head gasket, and of course gaskets in the carb and so on, but nothing is required for the clutch cover - and using the method above, nothing leaks or sticks. Covers can be taken apart several times and replaced if care is taken to avoid damage to the face, without leaking.
In Engine development, gaskets are a pain and do not stand repeated disassembly, but it's up to you if you want to stick with traditional methods.
My Falcon 87 stands at times for several weeks without leaking a drop, if on the center stand, but a drop does leak from the gearbox seal if I leave it on the prop stand.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top