Latest topics
» cruiser 80 chain guard
Today at 7:09 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» 2FB dismantled to dispose of in a hurry.
Today at 1:20 pm by SwinTheBike

» Can anyone shed light on this 8E cylinder head?
Today at 12:53 pm by rob spence

» Interesting idea for CDI ignition on youtube.
Today at 8:49 am by rob spence

» Wiring for AMC trials
Yesterday at 9:58 pm by Bigjim

» Can anyone identify these pistons?
Yesterday at 4:02 pm by piston 197

» AMC 20T piston rings
Yesterday at 10:03 am by rob spence

» AMC engined Plover - Wont start
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am by Davidohyeah

» 1H Starting
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am by Jack Clegg

Speedo serviceable?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speedo serviceable?

Post  Andrewwoey on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:51 pm

As any body serviced their speedo? My Falcon 74 speedo seems to read what it wants. Some times its high then drops to a low speed. Got got worried when going through a 30mph speed camera today.
Any tips on lubricating it?

Andy.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Speedo service

Post  Mikexyz on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Evening Andy.
Might be worth checking the cable route/lubrication first.
Otherwise stripping the speedo is straight forward once you have carefully prised the bezel off.
There's plenty online info available which I've used to repair a few of mine, including repairing a stripped gear wheel.
Mike

Mikexyz

Back to top Go down

Re: Speedo serviceable?

Post  Andrewwoey on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Mikexyz wrote:Evening Andy.
Might be worth checking the cable route/lubrication first.
Otherwise stripping the speedo is straight forward once you have carefully prised the bezel off.
There's plenty online info available which I've used to repair a few of mine, including repairing a stripped gear wheel.
Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the information. It worked a little better on the way home from work. The bike had been stood for over a year before i purchased it, so i think all the lubrication might of gone a little dry or gummed up.
I will check it over and have a go at inspecting the speedo when i get some free time.

Andy.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Spedo

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:40 am

Unless you mend watches for a living I wouldn't be inclined to dig too deep inside.
There is a spinning disc that must be a magnet and sitting inside it is the mechanism that turns the needle. It's all very sensitive. They tend to gum up as any lubricant dries out and it attempts to turn the needle instead of moving it a little.
The cable can make it unstable as it winds up and then unwinds.

There are some very cheap Indian speedos of the correct size on eBay but they have a metric cable attachment but could be made to work but may need to be remarked to put the speed correct.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  chamberslane on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:07 am

I have shecked the speedos on both my FBs and both read between 8 and 10 mph fast.
After reading an article in the VMCC magazine I have bought a Garmin Edge 200 cycle speedo it works by using sattelites and can be moved from bike to bike with out having to re-set anything, reads speed total miles, trip miles plus other stuff that doesnt matter ie the calories used . When charged with charger supplied lasts for up to 18 hours and is waterproof. I bought mine new from Halfords on offer at 70 but also offered used on e-bay sometimes. It works a treat and always picks up a satellite immediately . Comes supplied with 2 mounting brackets and extra ones can be purchased cheaply.
Patrick
chamberslane

Back to top Go down

Garmin

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:39 am

chamberslane wrote:I have shecked the speedos on both my FBs and both read between 8 and 10 mph fast.
After reading an article in the VMCC magazine I have bought a Garmin Edge 200 cycle speedo it works by using sattelites and can be moved from bike to bike with out having to re-set anything, reads speed total miles, trip miles plus other stuff that doesnt matter ie the calories used . When charged with charger supplied lasts for up to 18 hours and is waterproof. I bought mine new from Halfords on offer at 70 but also offered used on e-bay sometimes. It works a treat and always picks up a satellite immediately . Comes supplied with 2 mounting brackets and extra ones can be purchased cheaply.
Patrick
That's sounds useful . How long do the Batteries last.
Regards Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  chamberslane on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:26 am

Hi Ken,
I have used mine when I have been out all day 8 or 9 hours with no problems, I think the instructions say approx 15 hours.
Patrick.
chamberslane

Back to top Go down

Post  Les-27 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:37 pm

[quote="kerabo"]Unless you mend watches for a living I wouldn't be inclined to dig too deep inside.
There is a spinning disc that must be a magnet and sitting inside it is the mechanism that turns the needle. It's all very sensitive. They tend to gum up as any lubricant dries out and it attempts to turn the needle instead of moving it a little.

There are some very cheap Indian speedos of the correct size on eBay but they have a metric cable attachment but could be made to work but may need to be remarked to put the speed correct.
(((( ( Does this mean you have to buy different cables to use these Indian clocks? Has anyone tried them?)))

Regards Ken[

Les-27

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Les-27 wrote:
kerabo wrote:Unless you mend watches for a living I wouldn't be inclined to dig too deep inside.

(((( ( Does this mean you have to buy different cables to use these Indian clocks? Has anyone tried them?)))
Yes I have one on my trials bike but as I said they have I think it's a 14mm thread for the cable nut. It would mean having something made or having a cable made although the Enfield India caplet are Smiths fitting one end and metric the other. You would just need the correct length.
I just clipped mine up to test and it worked fine. As said you may need to remark the numbers if the Rayo is wrong but Enfield India wheel drives are very cheap as well but for about 20.30 it's worth some effort.
Ken

Regards Ken[
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Les-27 wrote:
kerabo wrote:Unless you mend watches for a living I wouldn't be inclined to dig too deep inside.

Yes I have one on my trials bike but as I said they have I think it's a 14mm thread for the cable nut. It would mean having something made or having a cable made although the Enfield India cables are Smiths fitting one end and metric the other. You would just need the correct length.
I just clipped mine up to test and it worked fine. As said you may need to remark the numbers if the Rayo is wrong but Enfield India wheel drives are very cheap as well but for about 20.30 it's worth some effort.
See this eBay number. 251847019304
Ken

Regards Ken[
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Les-27 wrote:

Yes I have one on my trials bike but as I said they have I think it's a 14mm thread for the cable nut. It would mean having something made or having a cable made although the Enfield India cables are Smiths fitting one end and metric the other. You would just need the correct length.
I just clipped mine up to test and it worked fine. As said you may need to remark the numbers if the Rayo is wrong but Enfield India wheel drives are very cheap as well but for about 15---20 it's worth some effort.
See this eBay number. 251847019304
Ken

Regards Ken[
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the information. I will inspect the speedo, though i do know my limits on what to touch and not. I used to take every thing apart when i was very young, and not all went back together Laughing
A GPS speedo i a good option. I will also have a look at the Indian option.

Thanks
Andy.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

D shape

Post  Les-27 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Has anyone seen replica d shape speedos???

Les-27

Back to top Go down

Speedo

Post  kerabo on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Appoligies if you seeing duplicated post from me. Not sure what happened. Just edited some spelling and it was double.

Just in case it helps anyone you can use a satnav on a 6v system. I have one on my falcon 87. They are 5v as most computer stuff is and I used a voltage control from a model aircraft to keep my system at 5v then you have to miss out the plug and wire it direct and correct polarity. With my navigating on trips I need it .

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 pm

kerabo wrote:Appoligies if you seeing duplicated post from me. Not sure what happened. Just edited some spelling and it was double.

Just in case it helps anyone you can use a satnav on a 6v system. I have one on my falcon 87. They are 5v as most computer stuff is and I used a voltage control from a model aircraft to keep my system at 5v then you have to miss out the plug and wire it direct and correct polarity. With my navigating on trips I need it .

Ken

Great information.

Thanks.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top