» Slipping AMC 17T clutch
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 pm by Cruiser79

» what type of oil?
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 pm by alan67

Four position switch test

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Four position switch test

Post  Andrewwoey on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 am

Does any one have a continuity test positions for the Francis Barnett Falcon 74 light switch.
I am only getting rear light & brake light when its in position 1 with front pilot light. In any other position its only the front light thats on and nothing at the rear. Its wired up with the modern rectifier, and all wires are in the correct position according to the diagram found on this site.
I need to test the switch's continuity in each position.

Thanks
Andy.

Edit...

They previous owner as gone for full rectification (using all 4 connection's on modern rectifier) and not half wave ( 2 connections) as per the diagram found on this forum. I will need to go through all the wiring.
A switch test locations would still be useful.

Thanks
Andy.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Re: Four position switch test

Post  Andrewwoey on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Had a bit of time to alter the wiring. All went well except the switch contacts need a clean, or a replacement switch.
Some times you need to jiggle the switch in various positions to get the back light on even though the front is working ok.
If i can't dismantle the switch then it looks like a new one is needed. I can pop into Villiers spares if i need to buy Crying or Very sad

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

4 position switch

Post  piston 197 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Have a look at the underside of your switch, originals have a sprung plunger with a brass roller on the end, pattern parts ( like the ones Villiers spares sell )has an aluminium block with a sprung plunger with no roller on them, This is way inferior and the plunger wears the alloy block causing poor connection and having to "wiggle" the switch when it become worn to get it to contact both pins.
The pattern part is probably made in India, is cheaper to make like this, but it does not survive very long

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 am

piston 197 wrote:Have a look at the underside of your switch, originals have a  sprung plunger with a  brass roller on the end, pattern parts ( like the ones Villiers spares sell )has an aluminium block with a sprung plunger with no roller on them, This  is way inferior and the plunger wears the alloy block causing poor connection and having to "wiggle" the switch when it become worn to get it to contact both pins.
The pattern part is probably made in India, is cheaper to make like this, but it does not survive very long

JH

Thank you. I will have a look at this.

Andy.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Wiring problems

Post  Bigjim on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Ask steve for the wiring diagram that uses the modern 4 terminal rectifier. You might find you only need to use terminals. The lights should be powered from the generator.
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrewwoey on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Bigjim wrote:Ask steve for the wiring diagram that uses the modern 4 terminal rectifier.  You might find you only need to use terminals. The lights should be powered from the generator.  

I have used the diagram found on here. It was wired wrong at the modern rectifier.
Its just a slightly worn switch now that needs looking at or replacing but works with a jiggle.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top