» AMC 20T engine assembly issue
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 am by kerabo

» AMC 25T tickover
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm by mattyboy1975

Clutch plates for a 25t

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clutch plates for a 25t

Post  Kim on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:44 am

Hi. Does anyone know of a supplier of new clutch plates for the AMC 25t. I  live in New Zealand and ringing around parts suppliers is a difficult and costly exercise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has some and is interested in a swap. I have a new 25t 30+ piston (with rings and gudgeon, minus circlips) I would gladly swap for 4 NEW plates. Pm me if interested. (club members or genuine forum members of a year or more only)
I know it's a long shot but its worth a go.
Regards
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Clutch plates

Post  piston 197 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:48 am

Kim , there were 2 designs of the clutch plates, the type in your picture with friction material on the plate that locates on the clutch centre, and a design where these plates are plain and the friction material is on the plate that locates on the outer basket.
Make sure that you are being supplied with the type in your picture .
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch plates for a 25t

Post  Kim on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:37 am

piston 197 wrote:Kim , there were 2 designs of the clutch plates, the type in your picture with friction material on the plate that locates on the clutch centre, and a design where these plates are plain and the friction material is on the plate that locates on the outer basket.
Make sure that you are being supplied with the type in your picture .
JH
o
Hi John, thank you for that info. I had noticed that the plates I have are the opposite configuration to the image shown in the manual which is why I added the photo. I have two complete clutch baskets with plates that all have some material on them but I just can't seem to adjust it so that it doesn't slip. It is possible it just needs new springs but I would really like to have a new clutch.
Kim

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  piston 197 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:06 am

Kim, probably a combination of weak springs and worn plates, again there are 2 different lengths of spring as the 150/175.200 and 250 all use the same clutch, but there is one less pair of plates in the smaller engine, so springs are shorter on these
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Clutch plates

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Kim

Check the part number, I have several from a 20T if they are the same. You may try Villiers services as well.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

clutch plates

Post  piston 197 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:59 pm

Same in all AMC FB clutches, 150,175,200,250 just check they are the same as Kim's picture as I said above there are two types, if yours look like Kim's picture they will be the same

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Clutch Plates

Post  kerabo on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Kim
Is your clutch slipping? Are your plates worn out. Mine are used as well. Just let me know how many as its been a while since I was in there.
What oil are you using in there?

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 pm

kerabo wrote:Kim
Is your clutch slipping? Are your plates worn out. Mine are used as well. Just let me know how many as its been a while since I was in there.
What oil are you using in there?

Ken

Hi ken. thanks for the reply. Mine has 3 double sided inner plates with the outside plate being one sided that the pressure plate contacts.
The other type that John is talking about has 3 double sided with the basket having friction material on the inner face.
In other words one (mine)starts (first plate on) with a fiction plate and last plate on is the one sided friction plate. The other starts with a steel plate first and last plate on is a steel one. I hope that is understandable... lol.
I have just had a look at your 20t rebuild powerpoint and that shows yours has the other type from mine. (that engine anyway)
I use trans fluid in the clutch case.
Yes it slips, usually when I go from 2nd to 3rd.
I am curious to know what thickness the material is on the plates when new as mine still look like they should work.
I have had a bit of a falling out with Steve at Villiers services (which I will not go into on here)
Thanks
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

Relining plates

Post  Bigjim on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Have you not got anyone over in NZ who can reline your plates?
Here's a uk based one. There's a guy on the James FBook page who is also looking for fresh AMC plates.

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bondingandreline.co.uk%2Fbrakesclutches&h=zAQFCROK0
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:55 am

Bigjim wrote:Have you not got anyone over in NZ who can reline your plates?
Here's a uk based one. There's a guy on the James FBook page who is also looking for fresh AMC plates.  

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bondingandreline.co.uk%2Fbrakesclutches&h=zAQFCROK0

Hi Jim, thank you for your reply. I would really like NOS parts if I can get them. I had considered looking for a relining service locally but I suspect that the smaller companies that would take on something like this (at a reasonable price anyway) are long gone from New Zealand. I may be wrong and will make enquires next week.
I am sure there must be a stock of them somewhere.
Regards
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

AMC clutch

Post  FB vincent on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Kim,

For info, many, many years ago I resolved the clutch slip on my 20T engine by replacing the clutch springs; at that time as a youngster I used the bike for serious road use so the clutch had to be able to accept full throttle acceleration. Today, the clutch is still fine (even though no longer ridden by a teenager).

In the UK there are many local spring makers, I am sure you would be able to find a NZ supplier who will be able to make reproductions (with an increased tension).

In addition, can JH advise whether the Matchless/AJS 250 4 stroke singles had the same clutches, since looking for these would enable you to widen the search - there is more than one UK AMC 4 stroke part supplier.

Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

clutch

Post  piston 197 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:31 pm

No, the matchless and AJS lightweight used a physically bigger beefier clutch with duplex chain

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

G2 matchless

Post  Bigjim on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 pm

I thought only the sports (CSR) models had the duplex. The very early pudding versions, didn't bother have a simpler clutch?
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  mike Sayer on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi Kim, I`m pretty sure the clutch springs for the 25T have a free length of 1 3/4" , yours may well be that length but they could be `tired` and need replacing despite the fact they look and measure up OK. I would not know what test poundage would be required to squash a spring to a pre-determined length (this would be needed if exact replacements were to be made).
The clutch pushrod length is 8 13/16" by the way.
Regards, Mike.

mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Clutch plates

Post  kerabo on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Kim
Sorry for the delay but I eventually got to my bottom box with the plates in. I have several and could find you a set of internally splined if your still stuck. These are used but look ok I even have the one sided plate.
Let me know.

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply, I have been a bit distracted with some health issues lately.
Thank you all for the ideas and advice. Does anyone know the original thickness of the friction material on a new plate? The springs I have measure 1 3/4' and are all even so i'm hoping that's not the problem. Although, as Mike says, they can still be soft.
Ken I have sent a PM. thank you.
Regards
Kim

Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top