» final drive gearbox sprocket amc 17 wanted
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am by piston 197

» RE FURB WHEELS
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 pm by MR SINBAD

» Alloy barrel AMC engine
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:40 pm by rob spence

» High level exhaust pipe AMC 20T
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 pm by kerabo

Help! - Newly acquired FB Falcon - stuck in 2nd gear and no spark (Preston, Lancs)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help! - Newly acquired FB Falcon - stuck in 2nd gear and no spark (Preston, Lancs)

Post  Rich_FB on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:58 pm

I bought the FB from my Dad to keep it in the family and after a horror story from a guy (DG Services) in South Wales, JWA Motorcycles in the Wirral managed to make safe and repair the damage the chap had done so my restoration was complete.
Last Saturday i rode it for the first time and really enjoyed it. The restoration did not include the engine and gearbox as i thought that was ok..however

after about 11 miles and coming home the bike went into gear but the gear selector seeed to have travelled further than i expected and would not move. I had notied difficulties changing into 3rd and 4th but a slight movement up beore going down seemed to be OK.
On the way back it cut out and I had to walk it the 3 niles home. Not overly happy about that one.

I need help with this and need to find someone who knows what they are doing and how to source parts if they are needed.

Can anyone help!!

Kind Regards

Richard
Preston
Lancashire

Rich_FB

Back to top Go down

What model ?/ engine?

Post  piston 197 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:54 am

Might help us if we know what we are dealing with ?
AMC engine or Villiers?
four speed gearbox rules out a lot of options, but could still be Villiers 8E/4 1H,or 2T or AMC 17t,20t or 25t and could be coil ignition or flywheel magneto

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! - Newly acquired FB Falcon - stuck in 2nd gear and no spark (Preston, Lancs)

Post  Rich_FB on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:50 am

piston 197 wrote:Might help us if we know what we are dealing with ?
AMC engine or Villiers?
four speed gearbox rules out a lot of options, but could still be Villiers 8E/4 1H,or 2T or AMC 17t,20t or 25t and could be coil ignition or flywheel magneto

JH

Hello - thanks for the reply!

It's an 1960 Falcon 87 AMC 199cc 20T - this is from the original instruction manual

Rich_FB

Back to top Go down

not going and gear problems

Post  piston 197 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:20 am

The gear issue is probably a broken gear change return spring, but you will not know without taking the r/hand engine case off .you do not have to strip the gearbox, all return mechanism is accessible once the cover is off,
Lack of sparks could be
dead battery
closed points
failed ignition coil
failed spark plug
failed condenser
break in wiring
faulty ignition switch
It is going to be a check everything and see
first check Battery is charged, then make sure when ignition is on and engine is kicked over slowly the ammeter rises and falls as the points open, after this basic start you will know if the power is there, it is just a matter if both of these is satisfied of chasing all connections and checking components ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Address Please

Post  RPILKY on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:37 pm

HI Richard,
Where abuts do you live in Preston, I live Clayton-Le Woods ??

Cheers Bob

RPILKY

http://RPILKY@AOL.COM

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! - Newly acquired FB Falcon - stuck in 2nd gear and no spark (Preston, Lancs)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top