» Fuel Tank cap
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:00 pm by bill2b

» Age etc of plover please?
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:57 pm by piston 197

Switch problem story on my '87

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switch problem story on my '87

Post  Ted Snook on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:19 pm

I took my Falcon 87 for it's MOT in February, and the tester was extremely complimentary about 'Ol Betsy'.  Armed with my 'pass', I set out to return home, when just out of sight of the Station, the motor cut.  Always a first kick starter and with everything else known to be spot on, I switched to emergency and it chimed in again.
gingerly I went back to the 'Ign' position and it chimed in again.  This was repeated a couple of times but it got me home and I removed the switch and it's block for a check.

The Wipac switches were worn (both lights and ignition) but the real culprits were the switch blocks, the rubber part that provides contact pressure had turned into chewing gum over the years.  Both switches are identical, both 50 years old and both needing replacement, which I obtained from 'Bournemouth Bantams' - now in Devon.  These switches may not be as good, in my opinion, as Lucas components, but they are at least easily obtainable, being shared by several other models in several other Companies, and they had lasted half a century.

I made drawings of the existing wiring connections, inside the Headlamp, but at this time I had no wiring diag. because the BMS handbook that I had obtained was actually for a 'light cruiser', with falcon data added - but no wiring info.

I made all the solder joints, but something was wrong because nothing worked.  I tried logically to work through the circuits , but that didn't help either, with the additions to the wiring, and changes of colour to some of the wires over the period.

I did nothing for a while, while I tried to get a wiring diagram (s), which eventually I did off the Internet, and armed with this new information, I set about the task again a couple of weeks ago.

I had made two errors; I had reversed the blue and brown wires into the ignition switch, and I had omitted a link wire between two of the connections - even on the best of my wiring diagram this was easily missed (I had tracked down several on the Internet of varying quality and clarity)

Only those that have chased an elusive fault will know the joy of fixing it and hearing the motor fire up as it should - anyway, 'Ol Betsy rides again, and since all else is pretty well perfect; long may she bimble.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Bikes!

Post  john87 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:24 pm

All's well that ends well then!!!

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Wiring

Post  kerabo on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:12 pm

If you want a diagram for the 87. I have some original factory ones the size of a kitchen table.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Switch problem story on my '87

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:53 am

Dear Ken,

I would be interested in a copy if you could do me one?

Regards

Peter Dunford

peter@dunfordconstruction

http://peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bigfoot on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:09 pm

[quote="kerabo"]If you want a diagram for the 87. I have some original factory ones the size of a kitchen table.

Ken

Hi Ken
I to would like a wiring diagram falcon 87, please advise cost + p&p

Regards Chris...

bigfoot

Back to top Go down

wiring diagram

Post  Bigjim on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Could you post an image on this forum, as I would like to see the wiring diagram as well please?

previous post on this forum

http://fboc.niceboards.org/t1149p30-electric-puzzle-for-you
Bigjim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top