» AMC 25T tickover
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm by mattyboy1975

» Alternator wires
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

another frame what is it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

another frame what is it?

Post  bonjovi on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello I am hoping to get another identification I have found another frame (help piston 197 you will know) and various parts that seam to go with it in an old garage,
It seams to have the number UA 2791 on it and it is a plunger frame with a single sprung saddle,
I have also found another engine(seized) which is a 6 or 8e I think and the number on it is 1305 with a 3 speed box which says STD 15T on it.
there is a number plate on it and it is DEU 251.
there is a headlamp cowl with a speedo and switch on it,which may also be part of it?
I am not sure weather the engine is for the frame as I have not tried it in yet.
it has no front wheel and no tank as yet unless I find it elsewhere.
It is old and rusty with a lovely patina on it so may just want to hang it on the wall in the garage.
can I get an education again please?
thank you Very Happy
Andy

bonjovi

Back to top Go down

Re: another frame what is it?

Post  fulmar88 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:20 pm

I can't help with much except to say that the reg was first available in 1954 but isn't recognised by DVLA so can't get a make by that method.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  bonjovi on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice
It is definitely a FB I put the engine in it (6 or 8E) and found some other bits and fitted them so now I have an exhaust, centre stand, headlight with speedo and switch, And the rear wheel is in.
I just need to find and have a good chance, the handlebars, front wheel, front mudguard, fuel tank and rod for the footrests to mount.
I have nearly got another bike!
put some red diesel in the cylinder to soak as its seized. After a clout with a suitable piece of wood did not shift it
it that does not work i might try the old heat up some veg oil and pour it in the cylinder, it has worked before!
oh what fun we have in wales

bonjovi

Back to top Go down

identity

Post  piston 197 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:05 am

With a frame pre-fix of UA it will be a 1954 FB Kestrel 66 which would have originally have had a Villiers 13D 122cc engine
Reg. Nos. beginning DEU were issued by Breconshire CC from October 1954 onwards

The original engine would have had the prefix 618A so the number you give 1305 is incomplete it should start with a prefix No on the top of the front engine mount and the unique serial No in a line below.
Original colour would have been Azure Blue
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterW on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:11 pm

piston 197 wrote:With a frame pre-fix of UA  it will be a 1954 FB Kestrel 66 which would have originally have had a Villiers 13D 122cc engine
Reg. Nos. beginning DEU were issued by Breconshire CC from October 1954 onwards

The original engine would have had the prefix 618A so the number you give 1305 is incomplete it should start with a prefix No on the top of the front engine mount and the unique serial No in a line below.
Original colour would have been Azure Blue
JH

Andy,

If indeed you do have a Kestrel 66 you might like to follow the below link which will lead you to a photo of my almost completed Kestrel 66 restoration.

http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/19/47/78/39/0_110.jpg

Cheers,

PeterW
PeterW

Back to top Go down

that what it is

Post  bonjovi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 pm

It is definitely a kestrel by the looks of it after checking your image
The engine does have another number on it (958A) where john has said and its must have been a local bike as I am in Brecon (used to be Breconshire)
I have had some small movement of the piston in the bore now so its on its way. and subsequently found the crank is moving too.
I am just missing but might find yet in one of the sheds if i am lucky and I am quite lucky, The handlebars, front wheel and mudguard. foot peg mounts and the hardest bit a fuel tank.
I know there is probably low value in it and anyway I like it looking like someone just dug it up or found it under a hedge but I will try and get it running and find the other bits to be able to ride it round the garden for a bit, but other than that i will leave the patina alone. it has taken over 60 years to get like that who am I to mess with it i am only 46?
I should just protect it now.
cheers
Andy
Very Happy

bonjovi

Back to top Go down

Post  bonjovi on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:37 am

I finally got it tuning over and removed the barrel.it looks horrible with loads of crud in the bottom end. which was half the reason it would not rotate, The piston was the other half and did not make the exit from the bore very well off so is unusable too. bore ok and rings ok now.
The piston is oversize and had front stamped on the top but pointed towards the carb not the exhaust.
I put it back together loosely for now to keep it all in one place.
I think try and fit it in the back of shed and maybe one day ill find the rest of the cycle bits for it and rebuild or replace the motor with one of those nice new ones you can get now already done.
I have too much on right now to tackle this too, And I don't need it but who knows in the winter months I may get bored.
thanks for your help in identifying it .

bonjovi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top