» Leaky Seagull
Yesterday at 9:06 am by keith.hodgenia

» Falcon 87 wiring
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm by kerabo

» Cruiser 80 centre stand parts wanted
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm by Sgtbiro

» falcon final drive sprocket
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm by piston 197

» Cruiser 39 exhaust repairs in Australia, carby, etc etc.
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am by Maurice Chivers

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am by FB vincent

» Belgian Powerbike 98cc
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:54 am by FB vincent

» NEW CLUB MEMBERS
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 pm by 1953Man

Main bearings & exhaust questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Main bearings & exhaust questions

Post  ScottT on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Villiers 30C engine, is replacing the main bearings something that is easy done at home, or does it need special tools?
L15 James Cadet, looking for a new full exhaust system but nothing available, I know the Plover was the same bike and exhausts/silencers are available for them, but which model Plover is the same as the L15 (1957) as there seems to be a few different Plover model exhausts.
ScottT

Back to top Go down

plover/james

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:39 pm

The plover 86 and James L15A were the same bike,with AMC 15T engine, but FB fitted a superior exhaust system with a collector box below the engine and a silencer off this with an internally baffled tube.
The James went the cheaper, more conventional route , with just a down pipe and silencer, the exhaust systems are interchangeable, but are totally different, and you are unlikely to find a decent one, Armours may produce a James replacement one, but they do not do the FB one .

Main bearing change on a 30C is a doddle and the bearings are a cheap metric bearing, use C3 radial clearance fit when ordering
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Main bearings & exhaust questions

Post  ScottT on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Its the L15 with the 30C villiers engine  i have. So i need a 1/1/4inch diameter pipe.

According to Armours they do an exhaust for the Plover 73 which has the 1 1/4inch exhaust, but they say its for the aluminium box silencer, which they dont do, they suggest using a Kestral 69 silencer on that pipe which is also 1 1/4 dia

They do a long universal silencer but it's 1 1/2inch dia. Or a short curved tail silencer thats also 1 1/4

So it should be ok if i fit the Plover 73 pipe to the Kestral 69 silencer, but the Kestral pipe has a slot tail pipe, what's the thinking behind that?

They dont have a suitable james exhaust or silencer.

Thank you for the bearing infor.
ScottT

Back to top Go down

exnaust

Post  piston 197 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 am

The Plover 73 pipe should be the same as a 78, but will be too short for the James by miles, the Kestrel pipe will be the wrong bend as the Kestrel is a plunger framed bike
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 pm

piston 197 wrote:The Plover 73 pipe should be the same as a 78, but will be too short for the James by miles, the Kestrel pipe will be the wrong bend as the Kestrel is a plunger framed bike
JH

Thanks again John, but i think we are getting our wires a bit crossed.
I need a 1 /14 inch exhaust pipe, both the 73 & 78 are this size, according to Armours they are both meant to go into the cross over box.
Either of these will fit my 30C at the barrel but as you point out may be a bit short.

Armours do a silencer for the cross over box but it is 1 1/8 in size so wont fit the pipe, what the recomend is if the cross over box isn't there then to use the silencer (not the pipe) from the Kestral 69.

I see what you mean about length, from the pictures i can find the 78 joins the box directly under the footrest, where my James pipe joins the silencer under the footrest mounting point some 4 inch further back.
Looking at a Kestral 69 picture the silencer seems to fit the pipe about an inch further back than my james. I know i have a good couple of inch of my pipe into my silencer so i'm thinking if i keep my original front pipe i can fit the Kestral silencer to it and it should all fit ok.
But if i use the front pipe from a Plover i may have issues of clearance around the silencer/brake pedal.
Decisions! I'll email Armours and ask it they can make me a slightly longer Plover pipe and see what reply i get, thanks again for your help.

PS, what is the idea behind the split in the rear silencer?
ScottT

Back to top Go down

split

Post  piston 197 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:45 am

The split in the silencer is the exit for the smoke! the front pipe fr the kestrel has a baffled section for about 14 inches on the end of it, then a 1/4" threaded rod, the silencer has a 1/4" hole in the end, it slides over the baffle, butts against a clamp and sealing cup, then the 1/4" nut at the end is tightened to push the silencer against the cup to seal it.
Hence why I am saying you cannot fit a Kestrel silencer to a Plover front pipe, you will need a Plover front pipe with a Kestrel internal baffle welded to it ?? That is if Armours are making the Kestrel silencer correctly??
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Main Bearings and exhaust

Post  Oldrocketgod on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:39 am

Hi
I have a 1957 FB Plover with the 150 Villiers engine, my exhaust came from Armour's
I told them what I had, they suggested a front pipe with a baffle tube welded on and then one of their silencers, fitting was or could have been straightforward if I had used one of their P clips to mount the silencer, I actually used some stainless strap from the pillion footrest bracket and some threaded stainless insert nuts into the bottom of the silencer, you do need a clamp and some sealing o rings for the front of the box to seal up to when you tighten the nut on the end of the baffle tube. I have had a number of people comment positively on the sound from the exhaust system. Quality of the items appears to be good.
regards
Pete.

Oldrocketgod

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:43 pm

piston 197 wrote:
Hence why I am saying you cannot fit a Kestrel silencer to a Plover front pipe, you will need a Plover front pipe with a Kestrel internal baffle welded to it ?? That is if Armours are making the Kestrel silencer correctly??
JH

John I have no doubt you are correct, all i can go off is what the Armours page is telling me, i would think the Armours Kestrel silencer is right on the outside but the inside is done to give more fitment options. There are very few 1 1/4 dia pipes available and the 30C was used by quite a few different companies so im guessing Armours are just making sure their pipe fit as many as possible.
ScottT

Back to top Go down

Post  seipgam on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:49 pm

My Kestrel exhaust from Armours is made the way John describes, so true to the original design.
I have done away with the front clamp setup by running another 1/4 nut down the threaded rod before the silencer goes on, then the second outer nut keeps it from moving back/forth.
The front sealing ring is held and sealed in place by a bed of engine gasket silicone, so no exhaust leaks.
Looks a lot neater without the front clamp.

Cheers, Geoff.
seipgam

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Thank you Geoff.
ScottT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down