» Exhaust for AMC trials
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm by rob spence

» A nice ride out
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am by kerabo

Slipping flywheel cure ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slipping flywheel cure ??

Post  Stevejoyce on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:12 am

I have a FB Falcon 74 and a Norman B2s both with the villiers 8e engine.
Problem I have is the flywheel is not gripping the tapered shaft well enough and so timing keeps being lost.
Can someone who has cured this problem tell me exactly what I need to do.
I will try lapping them together with valve grinding paste but can/could you use picture or similar stuff.
Does it work.
I have spent hours on these bikes rebuilding and converting to pre 57 trial use but am really down hearted now as I need reliability.
Any advice pleeeeeeess !!!
Regards
Steve

Stevejoyce

Back to top Go down

flywheel

Post  piston 197 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:19 am

Steve, the Flywheel will stay put if the taper on both flywheel and shaft are clean, smooth and undamaged if tightened sufficiently, if it is slipping either the taper in one or other is not good, or clean, or the nut is not tightened sufficiently ( the nut does need a good beating with a Villiers "hammertite" spanner or similar while drive is locked with the locking tool on clutch side.)
Some times a dab of the correct taper lock Loctite will help when taper is not as good as it could be ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

flywheel

Post  andy-s on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:28 am

I had the same problem and know how frustrating it is! At the end of a rebuild and the thing just wont go.
Do as John suggests and use a hammertight spanner or a ring spanner with a hammer . You will need to give it some good whacks . might not seem a good idea to take a hammer to a small motor but this does do the job. you cant do the nut up tight enough by hand , I know by wasting hours trying.
Andy
andy-s

Back to top Go down

Re: Slipping flywheel cure ??

Post  Ted Snook on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:10 pm

All the previous advice is good, but do support the flywheel when using the hammer - or risk knocking the crank out of alignment. The blows that you may be striking are as big as those used when truing the crank during re-build
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Flywheel nut..

Post  john87 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Personally, i would not hit anything with anything.. What is wrong with holding the flywheel with a strap wrench and then simply doing up the nut to the correct torque setting?? This is what Villiers recommend.. Torque setting is 750 lb/ins, according to villiers, that is; 62 ft/lb

Sounds very tight to me though.... If the taper is clean and undamaged, there should be no problem.. "clean" by the way, means CLEAN. Absolutely NO oil of grease or anything. Clean the taper with spray brake cleaner and have another go. if it slips, something is seriously wrong......

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Strap wrench ??

Post  piston 197 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Villiers supplied a locking tool which went over the centre stud of the clutch case, outer cover removed, this had teeth in each side to locate against the drive sprocket and clutch sprocket ,so that engine could be locked while flywheel was tightened using Villiers "hammertite "spanner.
The strap wrench method was used on later engines with keyed flywheels, where there was a possibility of breaking the woodruff key, the 6E and 8E use a plain taper where location and position is solely due to the taper.

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Stevejoyce on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks all of you. I have a hammertite spanner and I am aware it needs to be done up more than finger right.
I will try and lap the two together again first as there are visible marks on the shaft.
I have never held the flywheel firm using a double toothed fitting on the clutch side I've always held it in one hand and tapped the hammertite spanner around.
This might be the issue!
I find the hammertite spanner is essential for tightening up flywheels and it also fits the spark plug and clutch casing bolt so three spanners in one.
Regards
Stevefromleicester

Stevejoyce

Back to top Go down

Lapping in

Post  Bighair on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi
Get a little fine grinding paste on the shaft and lap-in  the flywheel to the shaft,
then clean de-grease the shaft and flywheel .
Works every time for me.
Bighair

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Clegg on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 am

A bit of engineer's blue on the mag taper may tell you if there are any high spots, which can then be carefully reduced until you get a good "blue print" on the crank taper.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top