Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm by rob spence

» A nice ride out
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am by kerabo

FB Falcon Model ID Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FB Falcon Model ID Help

Post  Brentis1 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:28 am

Hi Guys,
I have recently acquired a Francis Barnett Falcon 197cc. It is registered as a 1954 and is running a Villiers engine and carb. Stamped on the crank case is 376A 20867. The barrel has a number cast on the side PX3 2 B7095/1.

I would really like to identify what variant the engine is and what year the bike actually is.

It is running but needs a strip down and check over. Can anyone assist with service and spare parts documentation. I would also appreciate any ideas on where to purchase parts. I have rebuilt several AJS's but this is my first FB. Really looking forward to it though as it is a cool wee bike.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Brent
New Zealand

Brentis1

Back to top Go down

identity

Post  piston 197 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:57 am

Brent ,
376A engine coding is or a Villiers 8E 197cc engine supplied to Francis Barnett from 1953 to 1958
The bike can be identified by the frame No ( on L/Hand side of headstock), if it is a 1954 Falcon model 67 it will have a frame No beginning UM or UUM, where "U" is the year 1954 and "M" is Falcon, if it the earlier 1953 bike ( falcon 58) the frame No will begin "T", if you post the frame No I can identify it further i.e. colour, competition etc
The 376A engine could be fitted with a 3 or 4 speed gearbox, if 4 speed k/start and gear shaft are sleeved over each other, on the 3 speed they are 2 distinct shafts

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: FB Falcon Model ID Help

Post  Brentis1 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks JH!
The serial no. Is proceeded by UUM so definitely a 1954. She also has a 4 speed box so thanks for the heads up!

Any ideas on a good place to buy spares etc. I realise I will be shipping most parts from the UK. I plan on lifting the head and barrel first to check piston rings gudgeon pin bottom end bearing etc.

Cheers

Brent

Brentis1

Back to top Go down

parts

Post  piston 197 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:20 am

All engine parts are readily available from Villiers services, cycle parts are a little more difficult to obtain, but can generally be found with patience, the tank badges are remade by a club member, I have the rubbers for the back of them and a few other parts, Armours in Bournemouth can supply exhaust and silencer. There were a lot of these exported to NZ and Australia, so possible you may have luck locally ?

If there is no letter after the frame No the bike was black originally, if there is a "B" after the number it was in the export colour of blue
The second "U" in the frame number designates the later model 67 with roller bearing hubs back and front
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: FB Falcon Model ID Help

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top