» wheel nut
Yesterday at 1:35 pm by alan67

» 1959 falcon
Yesterday at 11:41 am by S.C_07

» cheapest bike on ebay..
Yesterday at 9:41 am by top brass

» Plover with Engine Number 12T 5090
Yesterday at 7:26 am by piston 197

Falcon 87 front sprocket and a big thanks!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falcon 87 front sprocket and a big thanks!

Post  colk2004 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:32 pm

I have searched for a front sprocket for the 87 and am drawing a blank. I've got the chain (Chainman), and back sprocket (JH), but no sign of a front...of which I have 3 all rounded off.

Big thanks so far to Ken, John H and Sandy for all their invaluable input which has kept my little project toddling along. Kens bit could have saved me from an expensive disaster on the AMC V20T oilways. Timing side with RL bearings no bother. CRL6 side was a completely different matter. The oilway whilst been machined out at the top (this is a Villiers built engine) is at too shallow an angle to actually surface by the bearing - to the point where Plus Gas wouldn't flow out of it Shocked Sad I could have missed this if I wasn't looking for it. I drilled it out +0.50mm and nothing, so ended up taking a ball cutter in the dremel and plunge cutting from the back of the bearing outer till I hit the oilway - turned out to be 2mm (over a 1/16") from surfacing. Disaster averted; and no wonder the rollers looked like they had run hot and a bit of inner spin on the old cranks crank pin. I checked the other crankcases I have and the James TS20T cases were close to being the same, just a tiny amount of oilway showing, the spare 20T cases were correctly drilled (non-Villiers). I'd guess with the bearing being open it would survive on the crank side oil mist but lead a harder than expected life.

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

gearbox sprocket

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Colin have sent you a p.m . I should be in possession of a quantity of new old stock AMC 20T gearbox sprockets after Banbury at the end of the month.
I already have 70 plus AMC 15T sprockets from the same source and the supplier has some 20T ones he is supposed to be bringing from Germany for me to collect at the Banbury run Autojumble, all of these are perfect new old stock that have come from a dealers in South Africa
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 front sprocket and a big thanks!

Post  colk2004 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Can you book me one? I'll amuse myself with a gearbox strip and rebuild, and try my hand at wheel building in the meantime. That should easily get me to the end of the month Very Happy

Cheers Colin
colk2004

Back to top Go down

gearbox sprocket

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Colin,
of course I will, just hope he remembers to bring them, he is pretty reliable usually., but will drop him an Email to remind him.

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

AMC 20T

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:18 am

Met my German friend at Banbury yesterday and cleared him out of new oldstock AMC20T ( Falcon 87 and L20 James) gearbox sprockets
Standard size 18 tooth
These are available @ 18 plus 3.50p post,
( I have just 14 of them)
I still have plenty of the 15T gearbox sprockets as well if required, but there are no more of either once these have gone !
John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 front sprocket and a big thanks!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top