» Leaky Seagull
Yesterday at 9:06 am by keith.hodgenia

» Falcon 87 wiring
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm by kerabo

» Cruiser 80 centre stand parts wanted
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm by Sgtbiro

» falcon final drive sprocket
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm by piston 197

» Cruiser 39 exhaust repairs in Australia, carby, etc etc.
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am by Maurice Chivers

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am by FB vincent

» Belgian Powerbike 98cc
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:54 am by FB vincent

» NEW CLUB MEMBERS
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 pm by 1953Man

Merlin 1953 Gearbox operation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Merlin 1953 Gearbox operation

Post  trickydicky on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi,

Now this is one thing I know nothing about - gearboxes! My rebuild is coming along nicely but I noticed when I pulled in the clutch the gears do not seem to work. The clutch works because I can pull it in and push the bike without it 'turning over'. I expected to be able to merrily click the gears up and down but they don't. Does the bike have to be running to kick it into neutral or is there something wrong with gearbox? I know this sounds pathetic but this is an area of zero expertise. Any help most welcome.

TD
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

gearbox

Post  piston 197 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:37 pm

If you have a chain on the bike and are pushing it, then the gear train should be turning, you should be able to select all gears, but clutch should be released between each selection
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Merlin 1953 Gearbox operation

Post  trickydicky on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Yes there is a chain on the bike and if I push it the engine is turning but I can't for the life of me change gears. I guess something is definitely not correct with the box.

When it was off the bike last year two metal rods fell out a short one and a long one. The short one came out last. Before putting them back (I know I put them back in the right order) I did poke a screwdriver in the  hole and discovered a screw that would turn back and forth that seemed to adjust the position of the clutch lever. I twiddled it quite a bit back and forth. I think I set it back to the correct place but can not be sure. Do you think I may have adjusted something incorrectly and am now paying the price? I can't find any information online about adjustment.

Oh I also have not put any oil in the gearbox just yet in case I do have to take it all apart. Will not having oil in be a problem to check out the gears?

TD
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

NO !!!!!!

Post  piston 197 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Taking thee clutch push rods out and putting them back in again will not affect changing gear,

Without touching the clutch , push the bike forward and pull gear lever upwards this should be first gear, still not touching the clutch push forward and press down lightly , you should find neutral, push forward again and press down, you should find second., repeat for third, why you are using the clutch to select gears when the engine is not running is beyond me .
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  trickydicky on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi, I will try this again but it does not seem to budge. just a slight movement. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sorry if I appear to be an idiot :-(

I have just tried this and no luck. The lever moves up a reasonable bit but does not go down very far and there is no sign of gears changing. so I guess there is a fault in the gearbox. Is this very likely, i.e. have there been problems like this before?

Thank you

TD

Last edited by trickydicky on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

not working

Post  piston 197 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Sounds like it will have to come apart, easy thing to work on, if you are going to start learning to strip gearboxes , this is just about the simplest to start on,
Kick start and gear change off, outer cover off, remove domed not with indent plunger and spring, inner cover off and all will be revealed , only 3 gears, only one sliding pair.
Don't be frightened of it, it is simple
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  trickydicky on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you. I will get on with that and see what I find.

TD
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

Post  trickydicky on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello JH,

I took the gearbox apart as suggested and as you pointed out it is not overly complex. The detent spring and plunger were missing and luckily I had a spare from some bits from another gearbox which fitted. It appears to work now.

I have started the bike up for the first time and it seems to run fine. However it has two speeds fast and very fast! I can not get it to slow idle without it dying so that is the next problem to understand. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks again TD
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

fast running,

Post  piston 197 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Get the carb apart, clean everything, wind the air screw in fully and then out 1 1/2 turns, check needle length below the slide, not sure of which carb is fitted t the 1953 Merlin, single or 2 lever carb?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  trickydicky on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:47 pm

The Carb is a Villiers 3/4 one that has two compensation tubes and in the book it says the needle (No3) should be set to 2 13/32" from the throttle slide bottom to the needle tip but they acknowledge this is just a guide. I'll check that though. I did have the carb off and gave it a thorough clean so I'll see if the needle adjustment is out. There does not appear to be n 'air screw'? I tried to post a picture but not sure how to do that.

Cheers
TD
trickydicky

Back to top Go down

carb setting

Post  piston 197 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Yes that carb does not have an air screw . the measurement I have for the needle is 2.41" which corresponds with 2 15.32 you quote ( more or less) worth checking as a start point, adjust down to weaken and decrease length to richen
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top