Latest topics
» Villiers 2E
Today at 7:16 pm by ScottT

» FBOC AGM 12th August
Today at 4:13 pm by kerabo

» How far do you go in keeping with original build quality?
Today at 9:56 am by teebee67

» Falcon 81 wiring..
Today at 8:57 am by john87

» Model 91 Sports Cruiser
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm by teebee67

» Paint or Powder Coat?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:36 pm by patron

» Villiers Super Sports
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm by piston 197

» Stanford Hall
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 pm by kerabo

» Part Wanted
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm by preston21

Cruiser 89 Wheels - Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cruiser 89 Wheels - Help!

Post  Graham-W on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:36 am

Can anyone help me out re the technical details for the wheels on a cruiser 89 (1962) - WM 18-2 rims:

I have measured the offset for the front wheel but there seem to be two different spoke lengths, only a few mm difference - is this correct or is this just tolerance?
If they are different then which size goes where?

The rear wheel, I forgot to measure the offset before I dismantled it (one of life's lessons I guess).  So does anyone know what the offset should be?  The spokes all appear to be the same length - is that right too?

Never built a wire wheel before so all advice gratefully received - except "don't do it!" - too late.

Many thanks

GW

Graham-W

Back to top Go down

Cruiser 89 Wheels

Post  MoscowFlyer on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi Graham, I recently built two wheels for my Cruiser 75, and both of them were without any offset. I was once told, if there is an offset, then there would be two different length spokes, looking in the 1962 Cruiser 89 spares book, it shows just 6 3/4" spokes for the front and 7" for the rear wheel.

Before starting to build my wheels, I watched some footage on YouTube, on the right way to lace them up, and on how to true them, I found that very useful. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: Cruiser 89 Wheels - Help!

Post  Graham-W on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:34 am

MoscowFlyer wrote:Hi Graham, I recently built two wheels for my Cruiser 75, and both of them were without any offset. I was once told, if there is an offset, then there would be two different length spokes, looking in the 1962 Cruiser 89 spares book, it shows just 6 3/4" spokes for the front and 7" for the rear wheel.

Before starting to build my wheels, I watched some footage on YouTube, on the right way to lace them up, and on how to true them, I found that very useful. Mike  

Thanks Mike - really useful.

Graham-W

Back to top Go down

No Offset

Post  ChrisTurner on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:03 pm

If the spokes on both sides are the same length, give or take 1 or 2 mm, and the hub is a full width one with identical diameter flanges, then the rim MUST by definition be central to the hub, i.e. no offset. Lace it up so the rim is JUST held rigidly and then and install it in the forks to check it is central before final tightening. When a wheel is originally built, the overlength spokes are ground down once the wheelbuilder is happy that all is correct. This will explain why there may be a discrepence of a few mm in length. I have built many wheels and the above method has always served me well. Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Graham-W on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:58 pm

ChrisTurner wrote:If the spokes on both sides are the same length, give or take 1 or 2 mm, and the hub is a full width one with identical diameter flanges, then the rim MUST by definition be central to the hub, i.e. no offset.  Lace it up so the rim is JUST held rigidly and then and install it in the forks to check it is central before final tightening.  When a wheel is originally built, the overlength spokes are ground down once the wheelbuilder is happy that all is correct.  This will explain why there may be a discrepence of a few mm in length.  I have built many wheels and the above method has always served me well.  Chris

Thanks Chris - things are definitely becoming clearer.

Graham-W

Back to top Go down

Post  patzx12 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:52 am

I was going to have a go at building wheels for my AMC falcon.
Being an engineer i was thinking of making a fixture to clamp the wheel hub and rim in location and then fit and tension the spokes.

Any advice on where to buy 19" rims and spokes?

patzx12

Back to top Go down

wheel sizes

Post  piston 197 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:45 am

I think you will find the falcon 87 has 18" wheels not 19" ??
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Wheel Size

Post  ChrisTurner on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:08 pm

I too am sure that the wheels are 18". If you want a recommendation for wheels and spokes, try Classic Brake Services here:

http://classicbrakeservices.vpweb.co.uk/default.html. The owner could not be more helpful, and his prices are very competitive.

As regards a jig, you don't really need one. A simple rectangular base stand with two vertical uprights with holes drilled crossways in the top to support either end of the spindle is all that is needed. You don't even need a dti, a simple pointer will show where the wheel is out of true as it turns. I have seen professionals use ones made out of old swinging arms welded to a piece of flat plate.

if that isn't clear, I will post a picture of the one I made from air tube which has seen wheels of all shapes and sizes rebuilt or trued. Chris
ChrisTurner

http://www.formulaonesidecar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  patzx12 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks for that.
I am getting around to putting this bike running. Been busy with my CBX1000's
I will post a couple of pictures.

patzx12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content